I've de-finned my tiger barb!!!

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

truthseeker

by truthseeker

I was siphoning water out of my tank during a routine water change and the smallest of my five tiger barbs got too close and was sucked up. I fished him out and place him back in the tank and he seemed a little shocked. Then later I noticed he was kind of off balance and as I looked closer I saw that his pectoral fins are gone!! The poor guy. I feel so bad for him. Does anyone know if there's any chance he'll recover? Could his fins grow back? Would he survive w/out them or maybe get an infection and die? Any suggestions or words of consolation would be greatly appreciated.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I don't think his fins will grow back but I could be very wrong. I think you can treat his 'wounds' with something called melafix, if nothing else that should at least help prevent infection, as I understand, its all natural as well.

truthseeker

by truthseeker

The little guy's still swimming around and eating after a week. Hopefully he's fine

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

if he can swim and infection never developed on the wound... i don't see why he won't survive just fine. Good to hear

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If-it-still-has-nubs-where-the-fins-were-they-should-grow-back.......Fish-have-fin-injuries-all-the-time-and-they-do-heal,-even-if-most-of-the-fin-is-gone.......You're-very-lucky-it's-still-alive......The-pressuer-changes-in-a-siphon-tube-usually-kill-a-fish-looking-as-if-it's-been-blown-up......PK

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

my genetically abnormal clown loach has a fascination with the syphon thingie and fears nothing really....so I try to be super careful and nudge him away when he gets too close but i know those tiger barbs are so fast they could get in there before you even see them swimming close to it. good luck and I hope the lil guys fins grow back.

6 posts