What next.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

What next.

by a1k8t31524

so in planing out my new tank currently i have 9 white clouds 1 male crown tail betta 4 cherry shrimp, and 4 whisker shrimp, and many plants. was planing on adding 2 angel fish but i know eventually they will need a bigger home i have a 55gal. was thinking on some type of tetras a cory cat or 2, a flying fox and some other type of schooling fish
anyone have any suggestions?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm-not-sure-about-mixing-Tetras-with-some-of-the-fish-and-shrimp-you-have......My-Ghost-shrimp-ate-all-20-of-my-cardinal-Tetras.......I-had-some-Angels-once-and-they-can-be-pretty-agressive.....Maybe-a-type-that-stays-small-would-work.......I'm-not-even-sure-there-is-such-a-type-of-Angel......How-about-Loaches?.....I-like-Dojos-a-lot-and-they-can-be-good-at-stirring-up-the-gravel,-though-they-can-uproot-some-plants(I-still-mix-Dojos-with-plants-in-my-tanks)......Groups-of-Clown-Loaches-are-very-colorful-and-won't-bother-other-fish-and-mine-I-had-for-3-4-years,-and-they-stayed-about-3-inches-long......They-can-get-very-big-though-so-that-might-not-be-a-good-choice.......I'm-sure-you'll-get-lots-of-other-suggestions.......Good-luck...PK

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

The Betta will like a quieter tank. He will be uncomfortable with too much current, even that created by busy fish. To get away from business he may go to the bottom and hide, and that isn't a very comfortable place for him to hang out. He'd like to be near the surface, in calm, and be able to peacefully swim back and forth with very tall broad leaf plants to lay on when he sleeps.

Zambize

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

the betta dose not mind the current at all, he seems just as happy as he was in the 55gal as he was in the 8 gal, and there is much more current, 2 filters and a undergravel jet system.
PK did you say that your ghost shrtim at all of your tetras? how does that happen?
Anyone have any exp with Killies? saw some awsome ones at my LFS a few days ago.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah PK I'm still puzzled about your ghost shrimp. That's pretty crazy behavior for a feeder. I've kept them in my 5 gallon just as cleaners for what Blimpie leaves behind. They never bother blimpie or my Oto, though I think Blimpie has killed several ghost shrimp without the intent of eating them. heh He finds them irritating I guess.
The cherry and amano shrimp I keep in my 16 gallon never bother my Rummynose. Oh and that's what I'll recommend a1. Rummynose are a bit more spendy and sensitive then some other tetra varieties but they're great schoolers, and personally I love their color. The most attractive factor is that they're not as popular as popular as most varieties because they're more spendy and a bit more sensitive. It gets tiring seeing all the planted setups with nothing but neons and cardinals in them though, so I opted for something else.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I-was-having-pH-swings-with-my-DIY-co2,-and-the-tetras-may-have-been-weakened-by-that......I-also-have-thick-foliage-and-at-night-the-Ghost-shrimp-got-to-them-as-the-Tetras-seem-to-sleep-in-the-plants-at-night.....I've-had-both-creatures-live-side-by-side-before,-so-I-guess-it-can-be-done.......I-introduced-small-tetras-with-large-Ghost-shrimp.........All-I-know-is-that-I-don't-have-anymore-Tetras-in-this-tank-and-only-have-Mosquito-fish,-Ottos,-SAE's-,-a-few-small-Tilapia,-Ghost-shrimp,-and-2-six-inch-Dojo-loaches,-and-snails.......All-these-inhabitants-have-an-active-role-in-keeping-the-plants-free-from-algae-and-the-gravel-relatively-free-of-detrius.......All-the-life-except-for-the-plants-are-basicly-grey-in-color,-but-at-least-they're-tough.........As-I-get-better-at-mixing-the-right-amounts-of-yeast-and-sugar-to-supply-a-constant-supply-of-co2-I'll-consider-somthing-colorful-that-schools,-which-is-what-I-wanted-to-have-for-this-tank-in-the-first-place.

I-also-have-to-figure-out-a-recipe-for-a-constant-suply-of-ferts-so-I-have-good-growth-without-excess-algae.......My-Cambota-plants-basicly-took-over-and-I-had-to-tear-out-most-of-it-so-the-other-plants-could-grow.......Taking-care-of-a-DIY-co2-high-light-planted-tank-is-way-way-harder-than-growing-low-light-plants-without-co2.....

I-was-thinking-about-Glowlight-(red)-Tetras-as-well..........Anyone-know-if-Glowlights-are-as-sensitive-as-Neons-or-Cardinals?.......PK

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I had 2 glolights in my 16 gal, since then I'm sorry to say they moved to my gf's 10 gal with a pair of neons
(I moved them there when I got the rummynose after the epiphany that they would be lethargic and not school actively in pairs of 2) and withstood a SECOND full cycle.
That said, I think they're pretty hearty. They endured a highly varying range of PH while in my 16 gallon, then went to a PH nearly 5 whole points above what they were used to, and a temp about 6 degrees cooler (acclimated in about 2 hours by drip method). I hate to say it but I was looking for a reason for them to die so that my gf's tank wouldn't be overstocked as it still is. They do little more than just tread water all day. I'm about to give them to my friend with chiclids to end their misery due to my lack of beginner's knowlege. -.-
I'm not really impressed with their color as I thought I would be upon first impression at the LFS. They really seem pretty dull in comparison with other varieties. Maybe in a large school they would be more impressive but other than black tetras they're the most dull variety imo, but to each his own. :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm-about-to-have-one-of-my-Mosquito-fish-have-babies-so-maybe-i'll-have-enough-fish-for-this-tank-soon-anyway.......I-haven't-looked-at-Glowlights-in-a-while-so-I-forget-how-they-really-look

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i would like to ger a few Killie fish from what i read my water is right about where they like it but being that they are kinda expensive i would like to know if anyone has had them, and could share some advice before i took the plunge...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I saw some Endler's Livebearers today that caught my eye. And I'm not too proud to admit that I like Guppies. They are colorful, easy, active, and funny....just not glamorous. LOL The Endler's fascinate me and I saw them today in person for the first time. I took a deep breath, left the store, came home, will read up on them one more time, and *think* about it before I plunk a handful in my tank!

Zambize

What next.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2