need help fast!!

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

walkingcrow3

need help fast!!

by walkingcrow3

I know someone whom I think is making a very big mistake. The tank was only 3 days old when they added live rock. Tank at 4 days old and two hermits, one snail and one clown was added. Tank at 5 to 7 days old now has added an anemone of some kind, one more clown fish, and a purple and yellow fish. (I am not good at remembering saltwater fish names at all, so bear with me here). Now the tank is less than two weeks old and several corals are added, an angel and two more fish on top of the other stuff added in only two weeks time!! I am very very concerned about the short amount of time that this tank has been set up, there are also seems to be some sort of very very fast growing dark green hairy algea growing everywhere in tank. The lightening I am not sure about for the anemone growth, but it really isn't getting enough lighting considering it is hiding almost underneath the live rock. It is possibly a long tentacle anemone, but anyway, they were told to keep the lighting on 24 hours a day. So they have been since they first set up the tank. Going to Pet co doesn't seem to be helping them at all considering the lady was trying to put live rock in bags!!! AHHH! I really would like to have some input on this to see what everyone thinks and I don't really know if there is a chance to save this tank. They really are beginners and have not read up on anything.

FishFanatic4021

by FishFanatic4021

Keeping your lighting on 24 hours a day i know for sure is the cause of the green algae because algaes thrive off of lots of light for onee thing, try keeping your lighting down to about 5 to 6 hours a day what corals do you have in there again other than the anemone? You also might be overfeeding, what do you feed the fish cause i have been in this sam situation and your tank can be easily saved as mine was. and you are reeaaaally rushing into things, you should wait 6 to 8 weeks before you even THINK about adding fish other than damsels let alone CORALS, the clowns are ok though they do well in new tanks as they are very hardy.

need help fast!!

2 posts