dead rock

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

amadeo

dead rock

by amadeo

last week i placed 50 kgs of Singapore lr in my 100 gallon tank and made 10 to 20 % water changes vacuuming the glass bottom of any dead things that fall off it every two days. I turned on my skimmer that has just now broken # 9 to boost the cycle . colors of purple and green were on the rocks with one worm i found and a few crabs hidden and a few small snails moving in the cracks .

My live rock has turned my entire tank into a dead grave and my all color on my live rock has gone and the rock has turned into desert rock . yesterday i turned on my lights and found that all living things have died crabs are all on the glass floor and everything is dead . even small living things ( i dont know what you call them - but when i turn on my lights they used to get out of tiny worm shells and open up . now there is nothing . and i saw a white coat of something like hard paint has taken over and is covering over the rocks.

what terrible luck i have. did i do something wrong. . did i do something wrong. or is it part of the weird cycle...i did do something and i failed on achieving the purpose . after three days i took all the live rock out of the tank and wanted to acuascape the rock and stupidly i placed glass silicone between the rocks in hopes of sticking the rocks together . of course i found out the silicone did not stick the rocks together and every bit of it i found floating on top of the water.

is the silicone the problem . should i get rid of the entire rocks and take out the entire water clean the tank and start from scratch with everything new .or should i wait it out. what the hell is this white coat that is taking over my rocks. what sick luck i have in a terrible beginning. pls advise
sht

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok first of all....take it from someone who has really destroyed a tank...............I know it suks....but as in life if you don't have down times ....you'll never know the true joy of success...............that being said................

Live rock is a wierd animal for sure...........did you cycle the rock when you got it? was it fully cured rock ? as far as silicon goes, it could be the culprit but I don't know for sure...................I cycled my Fiji rock for 4 weeks in a tub and it looked beautiful the whole time it was cycleing, after i put it into the display tank it basically "died" and then after a few more weeks it's now starting to come back.........

I would get all that silicon out of there........do some larger {which I don't usually support} water changes...........change your carbon and media a couple times in the next couple weeks and see what happens

In theory, anything will become "liverock" in time....as bactierias and little creatures start to live on them.....those little "bugs" are called copepods by the way

Keep you spirits up my friend....it'll get better, I promise

Snowboss

amadeo

by amadeo

your probably correct . i will wait and see . to your questions i was cycling the rock in the tank when the death came yesterday . is it normal for the copepods to die . ...what about the white coat . ..i will wait and see..2 weeks...i am with you most times the tank usualy mysteriously solves itself after a while ... you guys i am scared of one more thing .

tanks are delicate ...people clean under their fingernails for nothing to enter the water. how do you control that no one angry at you or holds a grudge doesnt destroy the thing you love most . by maybe pouring some thing like what ever i dont know pesiticide or petrol in the tank and move away . ..

im afraid one of the maids comes and does something unintensionaly by cleaning the tank . i cant lock the door they have to clean the room

snowboss

by snowboss

i built my own hood for my tank............i have no need to secure it but a piano hinge and a small pad lock on my removable lid would secure it enough to keep people from messing with it.............................whats a maid????? hehehehehe

snowboss

by snowboss

on another note...........man if i caught someone dumping something into my tank i think i'd blow a gasket and go postal on them............it definatley wouldn't be a pretty site for sure............Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

did you let the silicone dry? i think when glass silicone is wet it is some what toxic.. also the white film could also be overdose or calcium/alkilinity or bacteria. test your water .
swp

amadeo

by amadeo

i think it was dry i kept it outside the tank for a good 10 hours but maybe i dont know. one thing i do know i am not a quiter . I read by someone that 2 out of 3 aquarists quit the hobby of saltwater after 1 year because of cost and failure. i think its true . i dont care if i have 2 cure rocks for the rest of my life i will get it right. and by the way i think im just bieng over cautious , yesterday i found that alot of my copepods( thanks boss) are still blooming when i turn on my lights and i found a few worms with 100 little legs crawling in places and one of my little critter slugs has been sliming its way shelless all around the glass tank from the day i brought the LR . yesterday i found my freind has found a tiny pointed shell and has been moving it declairing his territory .i was so happy to see him . poor thing he thinks the 100 gallon tank will be all his forever.

2 questions . one the guy in the fish store told me to not put the black carbon in the canister yet wait until the rock has cured . and next my canister filter has it own dock for UV light that is sold seperately .he told me i should get it . should i put both in now. or wait.

somalia123

by somalia123

is it for a uv sterilizer? if it is i would wait until your tank is more established

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

i doubt its the silicone, did u use aquarium silicone? and did you treat your tank with any kind of medication? where did this liverock come from? go to your local fish store and buy this stuff that comes in a green tube, its putty made for builiding rock work and sticking frags in place, its called hold fast epoxy stick , thats what you want to use. the white stuff is probly dead coralline algae, when it dies it looks like thick white paint

dead rock

9 posts