a comment from my girl...

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

so today my finance told me that my fish keeping has turned from a hobby to an obsession....i laughed. Has anyone else experienced this?

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

My boyfriend says that no one seriously loves fish this much i must be putting on an act. His mom keeps fish too and he probably thinks its a little weird for his girlfriend to be taking after his mother. lol He thinks I spend way too much time worrying about my fish, pets, etc. He'll get use to it eventually.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Mine doesn't say much to me about staring into the aquariums, just makes comments like "thats an aquarius for ya" and then will catch them looking at it.

snookfishin85

by snookfishin85

yeah actually i use my space to share pictures of my beautiful baby daughter with family and friends since its easier then emailing them to everyone and on there i have some photos of my tank and fish and i get laughed at because they say my hobby has turned into an obsession and my girlfriend thinks its funny how much time i spend with the fish and tank

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Hi my name is Snowboss and I'm an aquariholic

I started with a 20 gallon long salt tank as a christmas present from my wonderful wife.....and in 5 months Ive purchased a 65 gallon complete set up that will be going into the wall at the house we are building in the living room witha tank room behind it and I have the plans drawn and have started priceing materials for a plywood custom 8foot glass front {480 gallon} wall tank {with another tank room behind it} in the basement in my office / Bar / theater room .....so ya ....I'm obsessed as well my friend -- - - - - lol i gave up a bad sports car habit for my little wet friends and I'm nuts about tanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowboss

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My girlfriend didn't have much to say, except to draw the line at my current number of tanks. But that's only 37, 20, 6.6, 5, and 3 gallon tanks...but that's barely over 70 gallons total....and that's not too bad, right? Besides, I don't think anything under 20 gallons should count as a real tank. Then again, one sign of addiction is minimizing...

Z

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I must be under the wrong heading, whats up with all these girlfriends not liking tanks. It is the opposite here, just heard a comment yesterday from the b/f over the 10 gallon in the bedroom along with the 125 in the living room and 30 in the kitchen, that I was turning this apartment into an aquarium. I told him that cute little stand in the bathroom would like nice with a 5 gallon tank on there to watch some fish while using the bathroom.
Last edited by Sumthing_Fishy on Tue May 20, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Zambize, is your girlfriend interested at all in the beautiful aquariums you have? I grew up with no aquariums, only seen them at businesses, doctor offices, etc. and was fascinated with them, but never had one of my own until I moved to NY. The guy I'm with now mentioned he had an aquarium and talked about his fish, and I decided I would like to try it, so we went and got a little 10 gallon tank, then a 30, and so on. The 10 was big to me then, but like you said, it really doesn't count as a tank because it doesn't take up much room. If you give your friend a tank and let them decorate, pick out the fish and let them tend to the aquarium, they will probably take over all of yours and add to your collection and then you can turn your place into a huge aquarium. I didn't think I would be interested in them until I actually had the chance to do all of the work in taking care of the tank by myself. He talks about the tanks here, but I think he actually likes them or he wouldn't sit there and be caught staring at them. I would like to get a little tank, a 3 or 5 gallon for the little bathroom table and stick a betta off in there rather than a big soap dish seashell sitting there wasting table space. Do you have to have a filter, air pump, etc. for a 3 or 5 gallon aquarium for a betta? I want something bigger than a vase for a betta, but see them in vases all the time with no filters, pumps, etc. That'll probably make them draw the line on my tanks too when I put one in the bathroom, then every room in this apartment will have some friends. :)

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

lol where to begin, i started with tanks when i was really young, at one point we had 10 tanks going with a total of 300 gallons. LOL that's when we decided we wanted to move, so i decided to break down a few of the tanks and combine them into the 125 gal, now we have 4 set up and that's just fine by me as i do all the maintenance, when you walk in our front door, the first thing you see is the planted 125 gallon and it stops most everyone right in their tracks, lol in the winter time i have to remind guests to close the door. LOL i love that part of it. when i am cooking in the kitchen i love to watch the 55 gallon tank with the gold fish in it, they are great as well, and then in the spare room we keep the q tank along with the other gourami setup. it's nice to go from room to room and sit and watch the tanks. i was told though that we are at our limit as far as tanks are concerned, although, our family has grown, in addition to the fish tanks, we have four ferrets, (anastasia, pasha, ricky, and lucy) the two cats, auron, and yuna, and the puppy, ellen. we are at our limit as far as pets are concerned. LOL you don't want our pet food bill for the month.... he is into the ferrets and i can't blame him as he takes care of them and they are awesome little critters. he does cringe though when i talk about the new discus i want to buy, LOL it's not so much that i want new fish as it the extra expense.
Brandon

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My partner was reviewing the credit card bill for the last 2 months. Just as I tried to slide out of the room, she informed me in monotone that I've spent $2000 in the last couple months. I didn't think it was bad....I bought many things on sale!

Zambize

17 posts • Page 1 of 2