1 or 2 discus?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

1 or 2 discus?

by Mike0372983

I was about to get soem discus for my new planted tank. But i am told that you should have groups of discus, would it be better to have 1 or 2 discus in a 30 gallon planted tank.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

wasn't this posted in your last thread... try to keep that thread alive, its much easier to follow the responses. Brandon had good advice... and keeping two discus or one discus is not ideal, they like to be in larger groups, and in larger tanks where water quality can be better controlled. And no they won't remain small in a smaller tank, they will just become extremely stressed out and discus are easy to make ill, so keep all this in mind.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i would never put a discus in a 30 gallon tank, the recommended swimming space for a single discus is 55 gallons and up, to keep only two in a tank that small would almost be cruel, they will out grow it not rapidly, however they will outgrow it, not only that the amount of bio load from the two discus mixed with the plants would be way too much to keep under control, and the discus would suffer, keeping the ph stabilized in a tank that small with those fish and the plants in it would be almost impossible, best bet is to try an angel fish or two for the time being although they will get large and will need more tank space eventually, they aren't as finicky as discus and can be almost as pretty. i am no expert by any means however i am currently keeping discus in my 125 gallon planted tank and they are just fine, with the amount of water i have i have less fluctuations in the tank as far as nitrite, nitrate, and ammo, and ph, all things you need to keep completely stable if you don't you will lose an expensive fish. check my other posts relating to discus and read up on them they aren't a fish you just go out and buy on a whim and cross your fingers and hope and pray they make it.
hope this helps.
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm-going-to-disagree-about-the-30-gallon....I-think-a-minimum-of-2-and-a-max-of-3-Diskus-would-be-fine-in-a-30-gallon,-but-there-should-definitally-be-live-plants,-lots-IMO.......This-will-keep-the-cycle-stable,-and-there-should-be-enough-plants-for-there-to-be-lots-of-hiding-places-in-a-tank-that-size.....I-agree-that-a-bigger-tank-with-a-larger-#-of-diskus-would-be-preferable,-but-2-or-3-in-a-30-gallon-with-lots-of-live-plants-I-think-is-fine......I-guess-I'll-have-you-guys-who-think-I'm-wrong,-but-I-will-admit-to-keeping-3-Diskus-in-a-20-gallon-and-the-water-peramiters-were-very-stable-and-2-of-them-even-laid-eggs-every-few-weeks....I-used-an-undergravel-filter-with-4-inches-of-flourite-for-substraight-and-a-good-powerhead,-and-I-think-this-might-be-key-for-a-stable-cycle....I-grew-low-light-plants,-and-there-was-enough-plants-to-slow-the-current-down-for-the-diskus....The-reason-I-lost-them-was-because-of-a-total-breakdown-in-my-living-situation,-a-nightmare-with-a-woman-and-her-kids,-and-I'll-admit-to-neglecting-my-fish-during-that-period......I-did-have-them-quite-content-for-about-3-years-previous-to-that-though......OK-yea,-I-think-reccomending-20-gallons-is-ill-advised,-but-30,-with-LOTS-of-live-plants-I-think-is-fine.......I-grew-Anubias-Bartari-which-has-good-hiding-places-under-the-large-leaves,-and-also-Amazon-sword,-so-I-put-lots-of-thought-into-creating-good-hiding-along-with-enough-open-area-that-they-seemed-content,-and-I-used-a-double-2-foot-long-40-watt-per-bulb-shoplight-and-the-plants-grew-fine.....I-think-if-they-were-unhappy-they-wouldn't-have-been-in-the-mating-mode...Be-sure-to-have-more-than-1-as-they-will-be-freaked-if-alone....Also,-don't-have-fast-moving-fish-like-Danios-as-the-erratic-swimming-bothers-Diskus.....Don't-hate-me-guys.....I-just-think-I-was-able-to-keep-em-well-the-way-I-did-it....You-have-to-have-foliage-that-is-not-so-dense-that-the-fish-can't-get-into-it-to-hide,-and-there-has-to-be-enough-to-provide-a-secure-enough-environment.....I-also-reccomend-a-backdrop-to-the-tank-so-to-provide-even-more-security.....With-low-light-plants-like-Anubias-you-can-use-shoplights,-no-co2,-and-use-an-undergravel-filter......With-co2-and-high-amounts-of-light,-you-shouldn't-use-an-undergravel-filter-as-you-get-into-a-situation-where-you-don't-want-circulation-of-water-through-the-gravel-and-into-the-water-column.........I-wouldn't-do-Diskus-in-a-20-gallon-again-just-to-be-clear....Peter

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

pk i have seen odder things lol but mike seems like he is newer to the hobby and with that i think that a larger tank would be best as it's less likely to have drastic quality changes than a smaller tank the extra 25 gal of watter should prove beneficial to the fish as well as the plants. the other thing i want to say is that pk after knowing you on the site for over six months i pretty much know how you are with your fish, you take extreme pride in caring for your fish, not to say that mike wont but all it takes is a couple days of neglect and discus go bye bye.... and i would hate for this to happen and see him get discouraged because of the loss of such a pretty, and not to mention pretty expensive fish. (bettas can live in comfortably in literally 1 cup of water for months on end) doesn't mean they should be kept in that situation) LOL sorry pk. what's nice about this site is that we all have differences in opinion and we can post them without getting huffy and or upset when someone else disagrees. i mean in my personal opinion i think that he would be better off with a bigger tank doesn't mean that i am going to be angry if he puts em in the smaller tank, am just trying to make sure that he has a positive fish keeping experience and not a disaster as we all have had in the past at one time or another.

Mike i will agree that with the right amount of care you can keep them in a smaller tank but that tank is going to take constant attention and is going to be keeping you busy with water changes and testing and what not in order to make sure it stays stable. if you do choose to go this route make sure when you get your discus they are extremely small to start with, as this will allow them to hide easier amongst your foliage and they can acclimate easier as they grow up in the tank. maybe later on down the road you might want to think about getting a much larger tank to transfer them too as they will grow to a substantial size as far as fish are concerned. make sure you read everything you can find on discus and also go out and buy a book or two this will keep you from having to learn things the hard way.
Good luck
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Well-said-Brandon.....A-full-grown-discus-can-be-6-inches-plus-long-and-diskus-this-size-do-need-some-room.....Mine-got-to-about-5-inches-long-and-when-I-look-at-my-20-gallon-I-wish-I'd-given-them-a-bit-more-room......With-the-trouble-many-people-have-in-keeping-water-peramiters-in-check-you're-probably-right-to-give-advice-where-the-outcome-more-likely-will-lead-to-a-positive-situation-for-these-difficult-to-keep-expensive-fish...I'llsay-it-again-for-posterity:.....Don't-keep-just-one.....It-will-be-freaked-out-without-at-least-one-other-diskus....Peter

1 or 2 discus?

6 posts