rocks

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

rocks

by Mike0372983

I have had some rocks in my house for a couple of years, but before that they were outside. Do you think it will be alright if i put them in the tank?

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

you can test them if you can put them into your tank
use white vinegare and put some onto the rocks
if it's fizzing out, your rocks are not tanksave, if not, just go ahead and put them in

hope that helps
eve

Sig2293794

by Sig2293794

Eve has a good idea. Also I would boil the rocks (EXCEPT SANDSTONE!!!!) for about twenty minutes before placing them in your tank. This will make sure and snails or eggs or other living stuff that may have attached it's self to the rocks is dead. You don't want to contaminate your nice clean tank.

The reason I caution sandstone is it's full of tiny air pockets. Heating it rapidly (like throwing it in a fire or that boiling pot of water) can cause the air to expand and quickly rupture the rock. I would recommend some basic PPE like safety glasses when boiling any type of rocks.

Bill

getwithit

by getwithit

it would be safer to just not put them in the tank. they may have been in contact with cleaners. the vinegar test would prove that the rocks were not too alkaline....but what if they were extremely acidy?! i would say just buy some rocks and be safe about it..

celticwraith

by celticwraith

I do what both Eve and Bill have suggested with rocks. I have rocks from a local river in my tank and have had no problems at all. Just make sure you don't use any soaps or detergent to clean them, use dechlorinated water. Do the vinegar test and boil them and they will be fine.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

what is this viniger test that everyone is tlkaing about?

celticwraith

by celticwraith

Here is a link that will answer what the vinegar test is and give you more info on making sure they are safe.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/qa/f/faq0017.htm?nl=1

rocks

7 posts