Sting Rays?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

Sting Rays?

by littlej2455

I just got a 125 gallon aquarium. I want to get a banded bamboo shark and a couple of other fish. i would love to get a sting ray in their too, but I do not know which kind to get. Can you help me fins the right ray to put in that tank? I am thinking in a couple of years of putting all of these fish in a larger tank, but for right now it is 125. Thanks!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I wanted to set up a ray tank a while back and after A LOT of reading.....i kinda shyed away from it.........rays need an immense amount of room to swim around in....very little if any rock or decor....sharks are about the same......the biggest thing that turned me off of rays was that they don't ship wel at all and need very fine substrate......being that they have a lot of skin area they tend to be suseptable to infections from the smallest of scratches..............they are hard to feed and can get rather large....small ones will reack 1 1/2 to 2 feet at maturity..............I'm not trying to scare you off ....i just want to pass on what little info I have on them .....good luck

Snowboss

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Like Boss said 125gallon for rays is too small. It would be good for a little while but not long. For the price of them you don't want to put them in a tank that they will outgrow quickly.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

thanks guys. I guess I will just stick with the sharks. Do you know of any good tank mates for the banded sharks?

schigara

by schigara

Please read the post below from reef central about keeping these sharks. Your tank may be big enough for a Banded Shark as a juvenile but definitely not once it's medium to full grown.

Most people who successfully keep these sharks long term, keep them in a minimum 8 foot long tank considering they grow to about 4 feet in length!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... id=1357666

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

dude that 1700gal tank that guy built in his basement is fing sweet...i know know what i am going to put in my basement, maybe with some surround sound speakers and some nice lighting aand a nice rap around couch i...i wonder if you could make one with two windows... maybe make it a giant reef tank lol how cool would that be

Serial324556

by Serial324556

It's possible to have all sides clear but your getting into an expensive project. This is why he only used 1 side for viewing. This is thousands of pounds of pressure we're talkin about so it would have to be pretty thick glass which comes at a pretty penny.
Also a project like this is nothing to rush into. Take your time, do the math, and research and you will be happy-go-lucky in the end. Rush it and you will end up spending a lot more money in the end and will take twice as long.

A giant reef tank would be very cool and with that size the possibilities are endless!

snowboss

by snowboss

not to mention a tank failure at the 1700 gallon mark could be structurally detrimental to a house..............I'm in the planning stages of a 480 gallon custome tank and it's figureing in at 7200 lbs {thats tank, rock, water and substrate.........things like concreate thickness of the floor need to be taken into concideration .........I'm going to pour that end of my basement 8 inches thick.....and thats just to set the tank on ........the outward pressures of the tank itself are bad enough................ 1000's of lbs

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

well im just saying when i buy a house in 2 to 3 years im sure ill have it planed to a t or not do it all im not going to jump into i want like 4 years experience before i do something like that...imagine the cost of the live rock

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

wow that aint no joke - -I'm looking at 5000- 6500 for the live rock in my 480 gallon..........at 2 lbs per gallon in a 1700 you'd be in the 27,000 dollar range HOLY CRAP BATMAN !!!! lol just for rock

needless tosay I won't be adding my rock all at once ....lol...........

Sting Rays?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2