sea hares?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

sea hares?

by singapore

i saw one at my lfs last weekend and i think thy are toe coolest thing ever. i want to get one and the guy at the store said they are easy to take care of. but everything i read aout online says they are for experts only... any opinions?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

You're right, they are cool, and they're also kinda' sensitive just like most slugs. I think all hares are herbivore, the main food source is algaes and seaweeds. They are doing great in a WELL ESTABLISHED ecosystem. If the water parameters are poor(high nitrate, low PH etc..) or the system misses important trace elements( calcium, magnesium strontium etc..) they wouldn't survive. They love to graze all day on the substrate and live rocks, doing great houskeeping and keep themshelves alive. Most people says hares only eat hair algaes.. I don't think it's true. In a well maintained tank, they will eat all kinds of (mostly) nuisance algaes, includes diatom and cyano( which aren't too popular in a well kept aquarium though..) My point is, if you think your tank have the right conditions for this species don't hesitate... GO GET IT!!! NOW!! HURRY!! SOMEBODY ELSE WILL BUY IT!! :-)

singapore

by singapore

thank you for your reply, much help.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

not to deflate your balloon here ....just PLEASE remember that most LFS are in the money making business and their products just happen to be alive.....but they will in most cases tell you that you can handle whatever it is that's lighting yours eyes up ...................cha-ching..............not that your tank can't handle a hare, MR DH gave you some great advise.....good luck

sea hares?

4 posts