Cloudy water

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

noholdem

Cloudy water

by noholdem

I have set up a 50 gal planted aquarium and about 3 weeks in the tank went cloudy almost over night. It remains cloudy almost 4 weeks after.

During this 4 weeks, I have tested water weekly and there is nothing wrong. I have done weekly 30-40% water changes and the cloud returns, again almost over night. The fish in the tank are still living and they do not seem to be bothered at all. The plants, when I can see them, are growing like wild. What is wrong?

There are times when i can only see in the tank about 2in. at best...this is a serious cloud.

Recently I have noticed if I leave my tank light off the cloud seems to lessen quite a bit. But I need the tank light for the plants.

Any suggestions?

I really want to get this problem worked out so I can enjoy this tank, the plants and the fish. Thanks for all your help

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Sounds like a bacterial bloom or most likely an algae bloom, especially since you mention your lighting... how long are you leaving the lighting on? Also, what color is the cloud? (it may seem white, but sometimes a green algae bloom will only show greenish when you do a water change and you can pour the water over a white background). Water changes don't help much for an algae bloom, well not for one that i had atleast. If it is determined its an algae bloom, Tetra Algae Control works wonders in about 3 hours your water will be crystal clear... but make sure its an algae bloom since this med does affect your nitrites.

Also, give us any usual info on your maintenance, how often u feed, etc. Any extra info will help us figure out the issue.

noholdem

by noholdem

I have a brand new marineland 220 canister filter. It has been up and running for about 7 weeks. Aprox. 3 weeks ago I added in the carbon bags to see if this would help the cloud, but so far it has not.

I feed very lightly once in the morning. Since the cloud appeared, I have on occassion fed every other day, but this has not been done regularly.

As far as the color goes, there really is not a color. I dipped a white coffee cup in several weeks ago and it appeared clear. What is odd; however, is the fact that I did have a spurt of algee growth several days before the tank went cloudy. I noticed lots...LOTS of algee on my back glass and near my heater. I scrapped it off the best I could and pulled down the tank. The cloud appeared shortly after this tank change; however, I have not had the algee growth come back anywhere on the glass. Weird, huh?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

so by pulling down the tank, what do you mean exactly? that you took out all the water and ornaments? If so, this cloud is a bacterial bloom and will disappear when your tank recycles.... if you didn't break your cycle its most likely an algae bloom and will look quite clear sometimes. Especially if you had algae outbreak right before the cloud. what color was this algae on the glass, what did it look like, and how easy was it to scrape off?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

the carbon will help with odors, not clouds by the way... I had an algae bloom from heavily disturbing my tank once, so my first guess is this is your case. Also, algae usually forms from lighting or excess nutrients, and it doesnt sound like excess nutrients in your case. I would guess lighting is keeping it bad, but that it was caused by you trying to clean the algae outbreak. Tetra Algae Control works like a charm, you jsut have to be sure to do many water changes after treating the tank, or your nitrites will spike hard and hurt the fish. But it declouds in like 2 hours, its amazing.

noholdem

by noholdem

I did completely break down the tank 7 weeks ago....everything new. New filter, new lighting, new substraight, and new live plants. I had gravel and plastic plants before....this was a complete change. I wanted a live plant tank. I also have co2 and a regulator in the tank.

As far as the algee on the back, it was green and slightly stringy, but mostly it looked like a thin carpet. it was very easy to get off. I simply used a coarse scrubber. i did not have to use a razor blade.

It was about three days after i cleaned the algee from the back that the tank went cloudy. Since then, I have been doing weekly water changes of 30-40%. This helps for awhile but has never made it perfect.

I am possitive the lighting has something to do with it; however, even when I leave it off for 24 hours it does not clear out completely. If I run the light for 10-12 hours, the cloud is horrible.

I am hoping this is a bacteria bloom because everything I have read tells me it will eventually clear up. I have also been told that a UV sterlizer will help. I kind of want it to clear up before I spend anymore money.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

If you have live plants, they should be consuming the nutrients in the water and making it much harder for algae to survive. It could be bacterial bloom, but water changes usually help those. And you say your water parameters are ok, so i would imagine it to be from the lighting, and if so, its prob algae, not bacteria. Did u siphon out all the algae u scrubbed off?

How are you testing your water by the way and what readings do u get, just curious?

Also, if u do use a product to remove the algae bloom, your problem will likely recur since you arent fixing the root issue. Try to visit plantgeek.com and research cloudy water for live plant aquariums, they surely have the answer. good luck

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

oh, and when u clean, do u really stir things up, this will sometimes cause a bacterial bloom?

Cloudy water

8 posts