which tank is best?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

smokinbobster

which tank is best?

by smokinbobster

any advice would be a help
i am looking to buy a new tank, ive been looking at the juwel rio 180?
i want it to be a planted tank setup.
any other tanks in the same sort of price & size?
will the standard filter & heater & light system be ok?
it comes with 96w of lighting

marcus01

by marcus01

hello mate the rio 180 would be ok they now come with t5 lighting if its a new model your looking at, with added reflectors light output would be pretty good for most stem plants. i find the lids on jewels to be annoying but thats my own preference, the heating will be ok and the filters work really well
if you maintain them properly although i would tend to add a canister filter to these tanks. for the price they are a very good tank. compairing that to something like aquaone which i would stongly advise against being in the trade ive had many problems with them i.e. random cracks poor filters and not many shops sell the replacement sponges.....I hope this has helped marc

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

For a tank this size, you need way more watt if you want to have a planted tank

you should have 2-4 watt per gallon depending on what kinda plants you're looking at
some are low light some are high light
but you don't even have 0.5 watt per gallon, no way any plants will grow in that tank
look into lightning very carefully, because that can become very expensive very quickly

hope that helps
good luck

eve

marcus01

by marcus01

as i said before the new jewel lighting which is T5 would be fine for most stem plants AND AT 180 LTRS YOUR 96 WATTS WOULD GIVE YOU 2.4 WATTS PER GALLON....This would give you a good start at a good price

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

hmm, sorry i misread the 180 as gallons and not litres
well, then you're definately covered with the wattage for your plants and they should do really good in there

celticchrys

by celticchrys

Do a little more research on the types of plants you plant to keep. If you only want low-light plants like Java ferns, anubias, etc, then you can get by with far less than 2-4 watts per gallon. It all depends on the plants and on the method. Will this be a high-tech, high-light aquarium, or a natural Walstad-style tank, etc ?

which tank is best?

6 posts