6 line wrasse

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

6 line wrasse

by singapore

just got one. anyone have any info on them? personal experiences... and what do u feed them? his mouth seems very small so im not sure what to throw in for him. flakes? frozen mysis? freeze dried krill?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

mine really eats anything

littlej2455

by littlej2455

frozen mysis is the way to go.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Brine shrimp, and Hikari Marine-S ( one of the smallest pellets available out there). That's my own experience.Hes crazy about the Hikari.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ho big will a 6 line get and whats their demeaner? I've always liked the way they look but i think they can get big and mean....no?

the discriptions on fosters and petsolutions is pretty vague ..."might be aggresive" type things...................

Boss

schigara

by schigara

They can get as big as 3" in length. It's hit or miss as far as their demeanor but is definitely one of those fish that should be added last.

The last one I had terrorized my 2 small gobies and a Bipartitus Leopard wrasse. They are quite difficult to catch too. I had to make a 8" diameter net and fashion strings to it like an upside down parachute and then placed the net under a small rock that had hole in it that the Sixline liked to pass through. After sitting and watching for 2 hours, he finally passed through the hole in the rock and I snatched the strings and trapped the sucker in the rock.

I won't be getting another.

The Leopard Wrasses are much prettier and very docile but do get a bit bigger in the 4-6in. range.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002- ... /index.php

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I think 6 line wrasses are beautiful, very entertaining species, and great predators as well. They fast became territory, and like to "own" the tank. That's my only fish I have in my 10G nano. He never hides, swims and eats a lot. An awasome natural predator.. I don't have a single bristle worm cause of him.
I am very happy I picked this fish. I let him have the whole tank, and will never introduce any other fish in the future, so he can have his way.
Hes get along well with all my corals and inverts.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i have 3 Percula clowns rangeing from a very timid 3/4 inch [smallest one] 1 inch [middle one] and 1 1/2 inch {thats my baby momma MO} lol 10-15 nasarious snails {all under 1/2 inch} 6 algae hermits {about 1/2 to 3/4 inch each} and Sabastian, a large anemone hermit crab {probably 2 inches in size}

20 gallon long with 28 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand...........[30 inches long but only 12 inches deep}

I was looking at a scooter blenny or some sort of sand sifter....but i would like to add more color {almost to much orange, lol} - - the tank has a lot of current in it .....would a six line or other type of wrasse be acceptable in there ? opinions?

Snowboss

schigara

by schigara

Snowboss,

Your Percs are just beautiful.

Choosing another fish for your tank is very difficult considering the tank will be heavily stocked once the clowns reach medium to full size.

If you must have another fish for color, I'd suggest a Royal Gramma. They are peaceful, eat most anything and very attractive.

The Scooter "blenny" is a bad choice since it is actually a Dragonette like a Mandarin and is a very finicky eater which usually will only eat copepods and small crustaceans and needs a very well established tank of at least 75g with a ton of rock and a refugium to provide enough pods for it to eat.

The Sixline or other Wrasses are somewhat finicky eaters as well. They feed on copepods, amphipods and small crustaceans but will sometimes take prepared foods like frozen mysis, brine or cyclops. Really needs a larger tank.

A small pistol gobie like a Hi-Fin would be a good choice so long as there is enough sand depth for him to burrow under a rock but he will only be seen during feeding time.

You might also try an Algae Blenny such as a Lawnmower or Starry Blenny although they might be a bit cramped in a 20g. They would need seaweed on a clip daily or every other day unless your tank had a bad algae problem for them to eat off of but they will take just about any kind of food offered to them.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

THANKS schigara....i love my little beauties....and the family does as well....which is a good thing...the tank has pulled us all together after crazy hectic days on many occasions...........

I am concerned about over stocking as well...........my algae hermits do such a crazy good job that a lawnmower would be completely dependant on supplimental feeding, which I'm not excited about for him/her

i read on the scooter and i agree completly about their feeding needs and habits....i posted a while back about being sick when i walked into a local LFS to see about 5 manderins in the tanks .....knowing they are extreamly hard to keep......and scoots being the same family would be a problem as well......

i think I'm leaning back towards some bright colored coral polips to add color and that "complete" look to this tank.......

I'll wait til the 65 gallon is set up to increase the fish population....and the monster tank {if i ever get this house off the ground} will be a "shoaling" population tank

thanks for the advise and keeping my greedy desires for more in check.........lol

Boss

6 line wrasse

14 posts • Page 1 of 2