Wet Dry Sump?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Should I either buy a wet dry sump or make my own?

Buy
No votes
Make own
100%
Not Needed
No votes

Total votes : 5

littlej2455

Wet Dry Sump?

by littlej2455

Hey! right now I have a 46 gallon freshwater tank, and a 29 gallon biocube saltwater tank. I have had the fresh water tank for about a year and the saltwater one for about a half a year. I now want to get a larger salt water tank to host a bamboo banded shark. I have been looking in to sumps because I have no prior knowledge on them, but I did not know if it was worth going out and paying about $350 for one already made, or trying to make my own If anyone has any advise please help me.

gumbii

by gumbii

i would just build one... why buy when you could DIY...

i would recomend a huge wet/dry... since sharks won't have enough room in a FOWLR tank...

i'm making one right now out of some rubbermaid containers... it's really simple... the cost is about ~30 or so...

littlej2455

by littlej2455

alright awesome. I have one more question. What is the overflow box used for? Is it necessary?

gumbii

by gumbii

it's used to let the tank water overflow into the sump or filtration area...

it works with gravity enduced syphoning... very simple... you will need it for an wet/dry... or else in a power outage or when the return pump fails all of the water will drain out of the tank and onto your floor...

if you don't understand how they work buy one built... but if you learn the ideas and principles of fluids try to build one yourself...

Wet Dry Sump?

4 posts