prob w black algae, the short 'tufty' kind on my plants.

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I want to use algafix which doesn't hurt the plants to get rid of it. No fish, snail, or shrimp will eat it. Any chemicals that don't kill plants would be helpfull. Water peramiters are good and I use 2-3 watts light per gal in my 100 gal tank. Does something eat this or should I prune back all the leaves that have it growing on them. The new leaves take a while to get this algae growing on them. What di I do? Soon it will reach a stage that the algae will become an eyesore. I'm thinking of dosing the tank with algafix for a while to see if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatd. Peter

celticwraith

by celticwraith

Try Siamese Algae Eaters, they did a great job at getting rid of the algae in my tank.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've heard of Siamise algae eaters but I can't picture what they look like. The problem with small fish in this tank is that I have some very hungry large fish that will eat anything less than 3 inches. I have a pleco that cleans most leaves on the leaf tops and bottoms, but it dosen't clean the edges.

celticwraith

by celticwraith

My SAE's are 2 1/2 inches long, so I guess that is to small for your tank.
Try this site it may help you www.plantgeek.net.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thanks! Great site. It appears I have the black varient of red hair algae. I introduced this algae when I took a water lilly from my parents coyfish pond. Oops! I'm thinking of setting up another tank for tetras and other small fish (which may include simese algae eaters and shrimp), so maybe I'll put these fish and shrimp in the affected tank (minus the tetras) and temporarily put my gars and arowana in the new tank while I deal wiith this problem, and then when the algae is controled switch the fish back. I might experiment with a little copper in both tanks to try to completely eradicate it, but I'll have to do some research on that because it can harm some fish. Most of my plants seem to be the kind that do ok with copper except probably the grass I'm trying to grow in the forground. I'll plant that back later when things are fixed. I guess I have a lot to think about. I don't know weather to just use copper and no fish, or try a combo of algae eating creatures and copper with a measured amount of copper. I may even try a completely different approach after doing more research on water chemistry and nutrients. What a pain in the ass! This 100 gallon is so beautiful and I'm not looking forward to drastic measures that could really mess up the cycle and kill plants. I had a beautiful field of reed plants ( I forget the name) once and added a medication that killed the whole field. The tank was like a field of reeds with a couple of tree stumps and was beautiful. Then it was a death zone. I was pissed! I'll post what I do and what happens.

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

If you have big fish in your tank, you could get a bristlenose pleco
I got one myself, and my tank suddenly has much less algae then before
here is a pic of mine if you don't know what it looks like
http://fishlesscycling.com/forum/index.php?topic=961.0

hope that helps
good luck

eve

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm too tired to register for that site right now but I'll do it asap. I do have a pleco and it seems to clean most of this stuff off the leaves except for the edges. I guess it cant get suction unless it's entire mouth can atatch to the leaf. I'll get through this. It'll just take me a bit to research the best approach. Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the kind of pleco you mentioned.

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

you're very welcome
aww sorry i forgot, you have to register to see these pics ;)
but you should definately check out this forum, it's really great
we are a very knowledgeable group over there ;)
eve

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'll definitaly check out the site. This algae looks like the fringe on Santa's sleeves on the edges of the older leaves,so It's kind of cute in a organic kind of way. I'm cutting the food to my fish in half to reduce fish waste produced nutrients and maybe that'll also encourage my pleco, shrimp, and talapia to eat it too. I have snail eating clown loaches which could be transferred to another tank so to get a snail population going as well. I guess I'm in no rush sinse it doesn't look that bad at this point.

greenamy

Re: prob w black algae, the short 'tufty' kind on my plants.

by greenamy

I would love to know how you end up getting rid of your problem. I have the same type of algae. My tank could take some SAEs but I can't find any in my area. It's crazy because my small town just got it's 3rd chain pet store and none of them have had them. But they all have common placos and don't bother telling people they can grow to be 12 to 18 inches and produce more waist than you want to deal with.

10 posts