Live Rock

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

muzz5948

Live Rock

by muzz5948

Hi i was jst wondering if anyone new if it's possible to put more live rock in my tank while i have fish in there?? my tank has been set up for about 3 months.

jav36

by jav36

yeah it would be fine

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

just be sure it's cycled....die off could mess with your parameters big time.......

angus4481

by angus4481

go ahead should be fine, but if it smells like sulfur that means its not cured correctly.

newyorkstylez

by newyorkstylez

I would recomend curing the rock on a seperate vesel, with good water flow, and a protein skimmer. The bottom line here is that all live rock that spends some time out of water experiences some die off. If for whatever reason doing this is not an option for you, then you may be able to get away with adding small amounts to a large system. Adding one rock at a time to a large body of water such as a 90 gallon + system will be ok if done slowly. Do keep in mind that if the rock is being delivered to you directly from the ocean and is not pre cured, you may risk adding unwanted critters to your main display.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i just cyc;ed 22 lbs of rock.......i went to walmart and bought a large plastic tub with a lid, a 2 outlet air pump....8 small airstones, a small heater, tubing and tees and a thermometer........................it all ran me like 40 bucks....i happened to have an old powerhead and threw it in there but i think it would have been fine with just the airstones.........i put a bunch of tees in the line and different lengths to the stones....it looked like a giant protien skimmer in there ...............i let it run for 2 weeks with 25 % water changes every couple days and monitor parameters with standard tests........the rock came out beautiful and i added all 22 lbs to a 20 gallon tank with livestock in it ............i actually had to shooo my clowns away as i was adding it ...they were all over it wanting to explore while i was putting it in...................point being ...you can cycle rock pretty cheap...................much less costly than losing a nice fish or more

Snowboss

Live Rock

6 posts