lighting

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Deltasigpony3648

lighting

by Deltasigpony3648

ok im too cheep to buy a 600 dollar lighting system but i was thinking since it seems that is is the reflectors that make such a big difference in the amount of light coming into my tank i was thinking of getting two tek reflectors and measuring the ammount of light going in to the tank before and after the reflector are like 40 bucks total but i need a meter to read the amount of light going in to the tank and suggestions on products or should i just bite the bullet and buy this

http://www.specialty-lights.com/960035.html

angus4481

by angus4481

i just made my own fixture bout 3 days ago, it was cheap. its got 1 ballast for my T8 10,000ks, and a T12 ballast for my antics, its bright as hell. ive only been letting the 10ks run for 6 hrs a day(with a 2 hr break inbetween), and the antics are on for 8 hrs. for the past 2 days ive used it, i have noticed an awsome change in color on my rocks and in my fish. i think the fish are happy to have a whole dusk and dawn effect in the tank. im being very careful, i dont want to burn any corals. making the fixture was only bout 30 bux, and took bout 3 hrs to build, besides not having the decorative trim sides that are out in the garage.....its NICE!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sweet man......post some directions...i bet a lot of us would love to build lights....i know i do

angus4481

by angus4481

its not too hard at all, most of the ballasts have wiring diagrams right on it. if you follow the diagrams its very easy, hooking up the main power is just as easy, just make sure you use a ground wire.make sure to test the fixture before you put it above the tank, and use other bulbs than what ur gonna have above the tank, you dont wanna damage the good bulbs if you have a wire wrong

lighting

4 posts