help needed

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jeff

help needed

by jeff

O.K guys first question about my new tank setup. Its a 30 gal with 1 inch of florida crush coral substrate. I have a penguuin 350 double bio wheel filter. A seaclone protien skimmer,2 300 gph powerheads and redsea salt. I am using ro water and I have about 8lbs of now dead rock from a friends tank. The rock was sitting outside for about 3 weeks because he is dismanteling his tank at the moment. I scrubed the rock in very hot water and put in the tank. the skimmer is putting micro bubbles in . Not a big deal for now BUTT the water is very cloudy. Now fish so far and the amonia os 0.5 Any ideas hoe to clear up the water and was it ok to put in that rock

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

with no fish in there ........the rock is not a problem ...in theory with no fish in there you could put battery acid in there {not advised though, lol} it sounds like you have a good handle on filtration, a good skimmer and decent current with those power heads...all your missing is the P word.....patience...lol...I'd wait a few days or even a couple weeks and do your regular maint....10% water changes and tests and such for a week or so and the water should clear up...............if there is any gunk and grunge coming out of the rock....you want it to do it now before you start stocking............gunk is even good at this point, as it should start your cycle....i would even invest in some more live rock asap to help the cycle along as well........................on a personal opionion note, I do not like and had very bad luck with crushed coral.............lots of people use it successfully but at 30 gallons....you are right at the top edge of being in the nano tank clasification.....i have a 20 gallon tank myself....so be aware that things happen very fast and very severely in small aquariums......but hey tend to clear up almost as fast as well.....IMO...if you are successful with a nano...you can handle anything...lol...I crashed my tank the 1st go round ...and now I have 40lbs of arag-live sand and almost 30 lbs of live rock in there ....it's been 5 months and she's just starting to look pretty good ................good luck bud, Snowboss

lbmash

by lbmash

Hey Jeff,
try a product called Fritz-Zyme turbo start, It changed my tank over night, on may 10th, my tank will be two months old, check it out.
Lee

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

no, dont use that in a reef, no turbo start or cycle or any of that stuff, trust me. you need to get good biological build up/filtration, and since your liverock is dead, scrubbed and boiled, using any additive to speed the cycle process is only going to result in failure sooner or later...take snow boss' advice, get more liverock asap and your off to a good start, im using the exact same equipment as you on my 40 gallon, aside from your powerhead, im using the hydor koralia 2. good luck. - Makaveli

jeff

by jeff

thanks everyone....I'll keep ya posted

help needed

5 posts