i need a speific cleaner creature

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I still have some detritus in the tank........not a crazy amount but enough to piss me off.........i have 3 acorn sized algae hermits, 1 large anemone hermit and prolly 15 nasarious snals in there with 3 perc clowns............i don't have room for a star or cucumber and i have high current in there............

i run my actinic lights from 8 am to 8 pm and the 10k whites are on from 2 pm to 7 pm, i don't think im over feeding.....i feed pellets and i drop them in a couple at a time and watch the percs eat....might be 5 falling to the substrate and the anemone crab gets em pretty quick ....

it's a 20 gallon long so it's pretty well stocked....but all three fish are small and im setting 65 gallon in the next few months and this 20 will eventually end up a coral invert tankt but for the interum i need t get this sand snow white......im anal about it i know and i don't like cleaning it all the time and disturbing the tank as it's finally cycled correctly and starting to mature nicely

.........are gobies or blennies ditritus cleaners, add more crabs..........

advice??

Snowboss

angus4481

by angus4481

i would say more crabs. you should have bout 1 crab per gallon, i have my 55 that way and have no problems with debris. Try a sand sifting star.good luck

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i just got a diamond back golby and iv seen a huge difference he just putters around all day eating the sand and then spitting it out of hid gills its alot of fun to watch

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i was looking at a sand sifting goby..........i might get a goby and few more hermits as well.......all good input, thanks guys...Boss

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

the sand sifting gobys work great for that, i also have a sand sifting star, but hes slow, the goby will clean all that detritus up very nicley, when i first got the goby, my tank was cloudy for like a week because he was cleaning it all up, but once he cleaned it all up the water returned to normal and now the sand stayes perfectly clean/white and he wont let anything build up on it

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

very cool....if there is no ditritus on the sand ....what does he eat ...and does he stay pretty healthy looking after he gets all fat and happy on the original mess? lol..Boss

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

good question, im not actually sure of this, i actually lost mine a few weeks after buying him, im assuming it was a food problem, the guy at my lfs said that sometimes they dont take well to eating habbits, but he will devoir every piece of everything that rest on your sand

7 posts