Cracked Glass

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

ChristinaBug2890

Cracked Glass

by ChristinaBug2890

Any tips on how to stop a glass crack from getting bigger? I'v tried silicon sealant but that doesnt seem to stop it. (Of course this isnt in an aquarium but one of my reptile tanks) just wondering if anyone else has experience with glass.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I would find a large peice of glass that can cover up an area much bigger than the crack and silicone a piece that peice of glass to it. I would use aquarium silicone and put it on the peice of glass with rows of wiggly patters or straight lines. Carefully clean both pieces of glass and when dry carefully press the piece of glass to the area cracked. You may need to press and move around the peice to get the glue to completely cover the whole area, and I would use this area for the back of the tank.

Someone else might have a better way to do this. This is just how I would do it.

snowboss

by snowboss

another option depending on weather you can live with the crack as it is .......................is to get a cordless drill {if you don't have one} and go to Lowes or someplace like that and buy a very small diamond tipped drill bit {i mean the smallest you can find} and carefully find the very end of the crack and drill a small hole just a hair past the crack........................now the hole will stop the crack from spreading any farther ......kinda like stopping a run in stockings with a drop of fingernail polish, same consept.....{don't ask how i know that, lol} a dremel or that type of tool would work as well with a diamond bit also.

I saved a $2300.00 windshield in a Porsche 914-6 once doing this.......drove it for 3 yrs witha 2 inch crack right in the middle at the bottom of the glass..............never grew any bigger......

Boss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

don't they have glass crack filling kits?

snowboss

by snowboss

yes they do....an auto glass repair place might even come to your house and fix it on site ...like they do for windshields............but you have to stop the crack from going any farther before you repair it.............Boss

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Duct tape. haha just kidding!

Cracked Glass

6 posts