ok guys. big issue. need help..ideas are needed.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

well guys..when i first started this..i figured u know..30g..tank looks bigg enough..but now...after reality has hit me..i WANT..not need.. WANTTTTTT a bigger tank. im lookin into a 90G should be wat i want. 48 x 18 x 25 those are the dimentions. well my question is..when it comes in...im gonna use my tank now as a sump...so wat do i do??? will i have to start the cycle over? or can i just transfer everything to the 90g and then fill the rest with real ocean water?..or is dat gonna kick start a new cycle? id like to be sure. cuz if thats the case then i can just leave the 30g as is for now..set up the 90g. let it cycle. and then transfer my adored fishes.? inputs..ideas on how i can do this?

i was thinkin id just take the 30g i have already in my tank. plus my sand. plus my LR and transfer it to the new 90 g. and then add 60g of real ocean water..wat u guys think?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Hey Easy, Tanks are like shops....can't never be big enough eh?...lol a far as switching things over to the 90....heres my thoughts and concerns...

1. if you can - get the 90 gallon drilled and have a skimmer box put in it - over the back syphons are a head ache and can cause major water damage in the event of a power outage
2. if you have the time cycle the new tank before adding anything to it........your upgradeing to a tank 3 times the size of the one you have........so in a perfect senario .....you have 1/3rd of the matierial needed for that tank..........and yes i would think it will kick a mini cycle at least..
3. get more live rock...LOTS more ......like 75-100 lbs....cycle it in the new tank so you have something to look at while you wait impatiently to put the babies in there....
....after the rock is cycled drain the tank fill with salt water, add new live sand or what ever substrate you are going to use....and wait another week..........during this time...you can scoop a few cups here and there out of your 30 and "detail" the new tank with it - this will also bring your good bactieria from the 30 to the 90

3 1/2. while the rock is cycleing and your dreaming online ....start collecing heaters, skimmer, pumps, tubeing, etc etc etc ...remember your going to need 3 times the stuff to run this baby......
4. get a couple of large cheap HOB filters for use during the cycle period and then they can be cleaned and kept for emergency back-ups

5. finally and MOST importantly....enjoy the transition, nothing feels better than improvement of our passions....good luck bud.............Snowboss

eazy4647

by eazy4647

wow thanks boss. reall good tips there. its just that in my 30g i cant keep the type of fishes that i want. and dat sucksss. so im ordering my tank from http://www.glasscages.com for about 300..already drilled and built in overflow. chu guys think?

snowboss

by snowboss

very nice start for sure

snowboss

by snowboss

wow !!!! nice site man ....really good prices !!!!

eazy4647

by eazy4647

i know and you can get the option to have it drilled and everything..mannn look at the rimless tanks.!!!!!!!!!!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah way cool

angus4481

by angus4481

i think i found a new favorite site for tanks.lol
good find

eazy4647

by eazy4647

man tell me about it. i was googling around. and found a gem.!! share the site wit all fish lovers!!!!

9 posts