discus acting breedy

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Poetic_Irony2267

discus acting breedy

by Poetic_Irony2267

LOL ok i know this sounds odd especially after the recent issues with my tank, my blue diamond which i believe to be a male, is following around the very immature pigeon blodd and posturing and herding the little pigeon blood around, his posturing from what i have read is a breeding phase, i think it's hilarious, he's five times the size of her, it's deff not dominance display as he's not doing the cichlid thing and shaking around but he's all flared up and showing off his colors so to speak. will try to get vid of this in the morning.
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I love when fish do their courtship thing. I see it in the pairs of tilapia I have.

I used to have diskus and the females would lay her eggs on a smooth round rock I had in the tank. Then they would both care for the eggs meticulously for about a week until unfortunately they'd eat them. I know that some of the eggs turned a different color and I was told by my aquarium store that it was probably fungus.

These 2 fish kept laying eggs every few weeks and every time they'd eat them after about a week. I suggest maybe providing them with something that has a smooth surface, like a round rock, because I think they like surfaces like this.

Good luck! It would be so cool to have diskus fry.

When I can afford it I intend to have a few diskus again in my new planted co2 pumped tank, along with 20-40 Cardinal Tetras if they can stay away from the claws of the shrimp. I lost 5 baby Cardinals already in one day to the shrimp and I'm hoping they wise up quick.

Did you hear? I got bitten by my biggest gar and the damned thing drew blood! I was scared to get bitten as I know their teeth are like razors, but I had no idea they could draw blood, and it's not like I have thin skin either!

Anyway, I hope you can get to the fry stage with the Diskus. I guess the fry initially live on the slime coat produced by the parent ( I don't know if it's the mom or the dad). I think it would be fun to raise and sell diskus as I've heard they can be sold for at least $5 a fish.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

pk, i actualy am hoping they don't breed. it's an added element i am not prepared for as well as i don't think the female pigeon blood is capable as of yet, she's only about3.5 inches in length and doesn't seem all that interested in the courtship, i just think the blue diamond has found himself a crush on the little red and white lady.

I think i told you at some point pk that you are going to need a pair of chain mail gloves for your gars..... LOL sorry to hear you got bit, it's a shame they drew blood as well, am hoping none of this blood got into the tank as well as i am hoping the gar didn't gain a liking to how your flesh tasts, i know with most animals like that once they taste it, it's over. i know that when i was younger and had 1ft long northern pike in a tank by himself that after he bit me one day and took a chunk out of my thumb, every time i cleaned the tank after that i had to wear a chain mesh armlet that went up to my shoulder because as soon as he would see my hand come into the tank he would strike, let me just tell you that the chain mesh only protects from the teeth, not the crushing power of their jaws!! i would get bruised pretty badly from him biting and trying to swim away with my arm. of course he eventually got too big and i had to release him back to the wild. even though i eat them if i catch them in the wild i couldn't bring myself to do it as he was my lil chomper, well not so lil, he was roughly 3.5 feet in length, probably made a nice trophy for someone else but how or what ever happened to him after i let him go is not what i like to think about.i caught him as a baby fingerling on a worm... and had him for about 5 years, he loved when i would bring home live sunfish and perch for him to eat. we wont talk about what i fed him in the winter months....

oh and as for the babies if i do see that the discus start pairing up and getting ready to breed i will have to get a 55 gal and just put in a few clay pots and amazon swords and do it the right way as most breeders do, and you're right about the babies, they graze on the slime coat of the father and the mother, they both care for the young as they grow.

Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Well, I would think it's interesting to see them courting. Better that than fighting.

I was at the aquarium store today and I saw that they still had 1 Florida Spotted gar. It was the same size it was 8 months ago, about 4 inches long!! They said they feed it every 3 days thereabouts, but my biggest is now a foot long and growing fast. . I guess they don't need to eat as much as I feed them. People get all bent out of shape when you mention the word "stunt" , but you really can slow their growth by feeding less.

3.5 feet must have been some fish Brandon. I hope my gars don't get that big. I'm shooting for 18-24 inches max. We'll see, and I'm committed to having them in a big enough tank regardless of how big they get.

discus acting breedy

4 posts