new protein skimmer

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

somalia123

new protein skimmer

by somalia123

i just bought a new protein skimmer (odyssea ps 75). i set it up and its blowing out a ton of micro bubbles into the sump then they end up in the tank. ive herd that they have to break in, does this mean the bubbles will stop?will the bubbles have a negative affect on my tank in any way? after i bought it i did some research (should have done before) and found mixed opinions. hope i didnt buy junk

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the bubbles won't hurt the tank as far as i know................yes the skimmer needs to break in ....I bought a used skimmer and it still took a couple weeks to get it set right so i didn't get micro bubbles...................my suggestion is to run it at it's lowest possable setting....when the bubbles stop.....start increaseing the power to it.....if you start to get bubbles back it off a touch and wait a day or two until they are gone and start bumping it up again...........it takes a while but well worth the effort......

Note: my skimmer seems to be more productive dirty than spotless clean....so now ever few days to a weeks she gets a good rinse and maybe a swab with a paper towel but thats about it........................Boss

somalia123

by somalia123

thanks for the help its allways appreciated

new protein skimmer

3 posts