New live rock

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

New live rock

by Snowboss4492

I just recieved 22 lbs of Fiji live rock from Petsolutions on thursday....they suggest cycleing the rock for 2 weeks just to be sure {it's already cured by them} tey say do 100% changes everyday for 2 weeks or until parameters are correct amonia, nitrite, nitrate etc....my concern is that with 100% changes daily how am I going to get a good test....the water will always be basically new.........the rock is beautiful....no smell at all and 2 days in the same water still no smell.......as of now the plan is to do a test tomorrow {sat.} and if everything is good im going to do a 50% water change and test again Sunday......if all is well id like to put it into the display...........any concerns? or does this sound ok?

Snowboss

schigara

by schigara

If it doesn't smell, you're probably ok. 100% changes every day is goofy!

When you place it in the display, check the ammonia a couple times a day for the first few days and keep some Amquel handy just in case.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

should i put it in over a few days....and monitor

a few pieces at a time that is? or will this cause more stress than good to the little babies in there?

Boss

schigara

by schigara

Yeah, that would be fine.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

just did a test on the water

amonia = 0
Nitrite = .25
Nitrate = 40
PH = 8.4

with the nitrates up so high am i looking at an ammonia spike in a day or two...or is it just what it is...........the rock has 4 gallons of water on it so i did a 50 % {2 gallon change tonight ....I'll test it again tomorrow night and see what I get....Boss

angus4481

by angus4481

boss, i think you should cure the rock urself if you dont trust it. better to be safe than sorry. i agree, you should have an amonia spike soon.
Last edited by angus4481 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I should clearify.....the rock is in a tub with 4 gallons of water...some air stones, a heater and a power head .............sorry ..........i wasn't going to even entertain 100% daily water changes in the display....my 3 clowns would kick my ass....lol

Boss

amadeo

by amadeo

sboss with your permision i will be taking over this thread in 10 days i will be getting 50 kg to 60 kg of live rock for my 100 gallon . ( new ) and i heard that the best thing is to cure your LR in your own tank a good skimmer and not gravel . but since you cant youl need your tub . here is an article for seperate tank and own tank( not for boss im sure your on top of everything but for future referance . it will help me)

Method 1: Curing Liverocks in a Separate Setup
Place the liverock in any type of plastic container that is suitable in size.

Fill the container covering the liverock completely with saltwater.

Use a heater to keep the water temperature warm. Set to the temperature to near 80 degrees.

Hook up and run a water/powerhead pump in the water so you can create constant water movement for circulation and oxygenation.

Keep it dark in the area during this process to prevent algae attack.

Let it cure.

Perform water changes twice a week and keep measuring and monitoring the ammonia and nitrite levels.

Scrub the liverock during water changes to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand and other dead materials.

You will know that your liverock is cured when both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero.

amadeo

by amadeo

in own tank:

Rinse each piece of liverock in a small bucket of saltwater.

Turn on the heater and water/powerhead pump ONLY.

Let the liverocks cure! DO NOT add live sand or other substrate, livestock, or anything else until the curing process is complete.

Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.

Measure and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.

When both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.

After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.

Once again, you will know that your liverock is cured when both ammonia and nitrite levels are zero."

Once the curing of liverock process is complete, siphon out any debris off the bottom of the tank, and do substantial water change.

You can get a live rock that are already cured and ready to be placed in your saltwater aquarium. If you have an uncured live rock, then it must be properly cured to create a healthy environment.

Ammonia, which is a toxic compound and pollutant are released into your saltwater if you don’t properly cure your live rock.
This will compromise the health of your aquarium system. Most live rock will be fully cured in 1 - 3 weeks. By then, it will be safe to add to your saltwater aquarium.
Curing your live rock may be done in any type of plastic container that is suitable in size to fit the amount of live rock you have or inside the newly set up aquarium. Getting as large of a water container as you can is recommended, but curing inside the new aquarium is best overall.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Both are good methods..............when the new tank gets here I will probably cure my rock in the tank....as your articles have said .......................the only reason i didn't use my display is because it's already established with live stock and such ........I like the idea of useing a skimmer during the cureing process but don't have an extra one that will fit in the tub im useing now...Boss

New live rock

10 posts