how do i keep the water clear

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nate250x

by nate250x

i have a 30 gallon tank and i some how cant keep the water clear what sould i do please help

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

first i have a few questions, 1. how long has your tank been setup? 2. is your tank in direct sunlight? 3. how much filtration do you have? 4. how long are your lights on? 5. did you let your tank cycle completely before you added fish? 6. how often do you do water changes? 7. what are your water parameters? we will be better able to see what needs to be changed to fix the cloudy water problem.
Brandon

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I second Brandon's questions... as each of those can impact the clarity of the water... drastically.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Didn't see the other replies to your post till I was done with mine, but what I've stated is pretty much the same.

Do you have a test kit so you can check the levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH? One of these water test kits, even if it doesn't measure nitrates, is a very prudent investment, and it only costs about $20 I think. If you don't have one take a sample of your water to an aquarium store and they usually check it for free.

If you answer these questions we will be able to help figure out your problem.

What kind of filter do you have and how big a tank is it rated for?
How many and what kind of fish do you have?
How much and with what do you feed them?
How long have you had this tank?
How long has this cloudiness been occurring?
Do you have live plants or artificial?
Do you do water changes? ( I suggest 30% every 2 weeks if the water has no ammonia or nitrites)
And finally, do you use a dechlorinator to remove chlorine and chloralamines from tap water to make it safe for fish and the benneficial bacteria needed to cycle the wastes into less toxic nitrates?

The cloudiness if probably due to waste products building up from fish poop and/or uneaten food as it decomposes. You need to develop colonies of beneficial bacteria mostly within the filter which break down the waste and keep the water from becoming toxic to fish.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wow! We're pretty quick here on RMFT. It takes days sometimes with other forums.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

its good to see people ask questions and follow up on them... yes im being sarcastic

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i was refetrring to the person who posted the question

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Hehehehe. Some people aren't as addicted as we are to wasting perfectly good outdoor time sitting at our computers! I guess if I had a laptop and satellite connectivity I may sit out by a river and write on these forums.

Maybe the advice was taken and he/she doesn't need us anymore? Boohoo

Hey, then I could take pics of cool stream critters and post them to Photobucket for instant viewing. I could take cool pics of tide pools too and pics of coral reefs in some exotic tropical paradise.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Petes gonna put that guy on the island with the monkey ordering "IT" stuff out of business....lol

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

FYI, I took many of the suggestions from these guys and my water is clearer than any water, anywhere. I defy anyone to find more crystal clear water. It makes my tap water look like mud in comparison.

I have a 28 gallon with 2 Penguin 150's, each with extra filter bag containing charcoal, and I do a 25-30% water change weekly. At this time I use a magnetic cleaner over the entire inside to remove any buildup or residue...there's usually a light dust-like film.

It's out of direct sunlight, I keep a light bio load, I feed very sparingly and slowly. Slowly so that most of the food is eaten before it falls, but I have two middle feeders who catch nearly all that does fall. My fish load is unusually light because I'm changing tanks soon, but it helps for now.

I'm clear as glass.

Zambize

11 posts • Page 1 of 2