Prefilter

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

Prefilter

by Tmercier834747

I picked up a new penguin 150 for an upgrade on filtration which filters about 1.5x the volume of my old filter..As a result its succumbing 3x as much to the killer all of filter motors/impellers...java moss. Came home this morning from work to the sound of a buzzing motor and no water moving...grr. Thank goodness for the powerhead..
j/w has/does anyone else use(d) pantyhose as a pre-filter? The only time I ever used it in my tank was when cycling my 16gal when it was new using the hose as a holder for old tank gravel/bacteria, but that only stayed in the tank about 48 hours. I'm just curious if anyone else has used hose and noticed it breaking down. My concern isn't having to replace it (as its cheap as hell), but having that sucked into the filter instead of java moss. lol Or worse that it will block too much water flow, which I doubt.
I'd get filter floss if I could find it in black, or at all in my area. nobody seems to supply it.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

Tm,

You should be able to buy a filter sponge that goes on the end of your filter intake, this will outlast pantyhose as they tend to wear thin over time, not only that but this is a great way to increase your water quality. hope this helps
Brandon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Hmm well I went out to several LFS's today...one sold some filter floss but it was in HUGE bulk...granted it was cheap but I'd never need that much, and it only came in bright blue or white. Neither carried sponges of any sort unless they were for use with a specific filter type...ie canister sponges or media inserts, etc. =\ I rigged a mesh bag for the time being..its bright white so its really a terrible eye-sore. Secondly adding to my problem...using a sponge will probably only block the lower intake, the marineland filter has another intake about mid-way up the shaft, its adjustable/closeable, but I'd like to keep it slightly open for any floating debris.
I'm about to seriously entertain the idea of starting my own business in this town after checking out gov't grants for small business owners. The local LFS(s) suck, ass. lol

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

LOL i was thinking about doing the same thing here....

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Tmercier I have this same filter... u could always buy sponge material in any color and put it INSIDE the intake tube of your penguin... it will be out of sight, will block all incoming water from both intake areas and will act as a bio filter. Only thing u need to watch for is it might slow your gph just a tad, but i wouldnt worry about that.

Prefilter

5 posts