General maintenance questions

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hi there,

Some of you know that I've been struggling with high pH, 8.2 and higher, but since I took your advice and did a major water change with spring water, my pH has been 7.6 for 3 days. I also have Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0. Is this what I'm shooting for? Also...

1. I double up on my filter pads and add an extra media bag with charcoal. I change the older pad every 2 weeks. How often do I change the charcoal?

2. I have one acrylic tank and I wiped down some water spots on the exterior with just wet paper towel and it left some minor scratches on the acrylic. What should I use and can I buff out those scratches?

3. With my current readings what is the recommended water change frequency and amount. It's 28 gallon with a light bio load.

I've done some research on these questions but I get really different answers.

Thanks
Zambize

miami754

by miami754

Your parameters look fine except I still don't understand how you have zero for nitrates in a non-heavily planted tank. I think something is wrong there, but I have already said that before. I would invest in a new nitrate test kit. Carbon becomes deactivated after about 3-4 weeks so this will be when you want to change it out. You can read the article I wrote on using carbon in the articles section to see some more things on carbon use.

I always have had glass aquariums so I am no use on the acrylic question. I know they sell kits to buffer scratches in these aquarium, but I cannot comment on their effectiveness.

I personally change 20%-25% every week. I would say as long as you are doing at least 20-25% every 1-2 weeks, you should be fine. I wake up Saturday mornings and do it so I have a routine. Its nice to wake up and do it.

Anyway, that is what I would recommend and again, something is wrong with your nitrates. Congrats on getting your pH down and steady. I'm glad that worked - nice recommendation, Peter.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i agree with miami, if the tank is showing 0 for nitrates there is something seriously wrong there, i think that the test kit is passed it's usefulness, i would probably buy a whole new kit completely, across the boards, but that's just me. congrats on the ph decrease, your cycle should be starting or rather should have started over so keep a good eye on your lvls and see what they read about every third day or so, for about two to three weeks, i know a lot of work, but better to make sure the tank stays stable for the first three weeks of re-cycle than to not do the work and have another catastrophe.
Good luck,
Brandon

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Re-cycle? I'm not sure I've heard of a re-cycle. I've gotten so much info at once, but what is this?

My API test kit is maybe a month old. Would I need to replace it so soon?

Zambize

miami754

by miami754

Brandon just means that your tank may go through another mini-cycle depending on how much water you changed out. He is saying to monitor the nitrites, ammonia, and nitrate to see if it does indeed and so you can do water changes to keep the spikes down if it does indeed. Usually tests are good for 6 months, but there is something really messed up with your nitrate one so I would be suspicious. Maybe it laid out on the shelf at the store for a reallt long time - who knows. All I know is that you should be seeing something. Your readings look like you just started your tank an hour ago. You are not still adding all those chemicals, right?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I'm only adding dechlorinator now. I changed about 40% on Tuesday the 8th. So for four days my readings have been the same as above....0 everything and pH 7.6. Wouldn't a mini-cycle have shown up by now?

I think the pet store sells a Nitrate-only drop test, maybe I should get one of those. To buy the entire test kit again is pricey. Although, if the nitrate test is bad I would replace the whole kit.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

This might seem silly, but I have done this before (and miami can attest to it)... but are you doing your nitrate test the same as you always have? if you don't perform the test exactly as it states, you won't show any nitrates... just a thought.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hhhmmmm. I just executed the nitrate test again and got something closer to 5.0ppm. I'm sure I'm doing the same steps:

1. Fill the tube up to the 5ml line
2. Add 10 drops of Nitrate #1
3. Cap and invert several times
4. Shake the #2 bottle for at least 30 seconds
5. Add 10 drops of #2
6. Cap and shake for at least 1 minute
7. Wait 5 minutes and read

I don't know why I get a reading this time...but these are the same steps.

?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

well atleast it worked, so 5ppm is good news

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, that is good news. I think what spongebob was saying was that you need to be sure to shake it for the entire specified time. I have seen several instances where people did not shake it for the whole 30 seconds or 1 minutes and they got incorrect results. I am glad something is showing up now.

Yes, you would have seen a minicycle by now, but that is assuming that your tests are working.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2