Remedy for slimy things floating around

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Other than water change is there anything else that would take care of this thing? Why does it form?

snowboss

by snowboss

need a little more description Muhammad - -could be a lot of different things, how big is your tank, how long has it been runningwhats in it, what are your parameters, filter sizes or sizes, kind of lights and how long do you run them etc etc etc.......Snowboss

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

It is a 20g high tank in it's sixth week of cycling. I do have a blue damsel and a few snail for the last three weeks. Just yesterday I added a Six Line Wrasse, a coral and a few more live rocks. I have one regular tubelight and an Eheim wet-dry filter. This morning I noticed that the wrasse was stuck in one of these slimy webs (which I had not noticed previously). After rescuing the wrasse, I immediately did a 15% water change. Everything has been doing very well now. I want to have an idea, as to what are these things and do they appear if there is a delay in water change? Since this was a cycling tank, I was told not to bother with regular water changes until the tank completely cycles!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I have never heard of anything that would actually "trap" a fish ...especially a wrasse...which are pretty fiesty fellas as a rule.................so unfortunatley i can't answer your question exactly..........as far as water changes go...IMO 10% water change per week is mandatory and good husbandry, reguadless of whether you are cycleing or not....it's part of maint....and in a cycle is exaclty that a cycle... so if your not doing water changes what are you cycleing?? right? lol
I think you should entertain spending some money on better lighting as well...try to get a decent 10K white with and actinic {blue color} and some fixtures even have LED lights to give the tank a moon phase. there are a lot of choices out there ...money being the biggest decider {at least for me, lol} but you should figure on a couple hundred bucks - - your corals will love you............

you mentioned adding some new live rock....was it fully cured or did you cure it ...or did you just put it in ?? was or is there gunk and garbage on the rock, did it smell funny? - -this might be part of a combination of things......i.e. stale water, low quaulty light, overfeeding, uncured liverock etc etc ......just keep an eye on things, do regular maint....test test test

whats you water temp at? and you salinity at?

Snowboss

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks boss. Since I did the 15% water change yesterday morning, I haven't seen any signs of those things coming back. I'll definitely change the lighting.

The rock was cured and seemed to be in good condition over all. My temperature runs around 78 - 80 degrees and sp. gravity around 1.021 -1.023.

tarpon

by tarpon

I recently had the webish problem. I ended up doing a water change, but what really fixed the problem was my coral feeder syringe. I just sucked them up and they have been few and far between ever since.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks tarpon. I'll definitely keep an eye out for these things.

7 posts