polyps wont grow ?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lionlord3502

polyps wont grow ?

by lionlord3502

i have a shelf loded with clove polyps dong great (other than alge incroching) the leather are doing awsome but for some reason i cant get neon green star polyps to do anything but die. i bring home a nice piece put in my tank and it never blooms again. i dont under stand it and every thing i read states that thay are very hardy. any advice the weird thing is i have a big colt doing great and the same thing id happing to the todestul leather thay just die.

dragonmoray

Re: polyps wont grow ?

by dragonmoray

Are you sure it's dying? if it's just sitting there, a purple mat with stalks all over it, then it's not necessarily dead. When Corals die, they usually disintegrate and rot back really quickly. I have 2 large-ish Star Polyp rocks, and they took about a fortnight to settle in properly and come out as they were in my dealers tank. For that 2 weeks they just sat there, 2 purple rocks covered in little stalks. Give them some time, the worst thing you can do is move them around trying to get them to come out. Let them settle and they should be fine. I also had a similar thing with a large finger coral. I'm aware that large ones do not travel as well as smaller ones, but this one has taken 4 1/2 weeks to start coming out. Today i got home from work and theres about 30 polyps out on it, thats all ive had in all that time, although the coral is 3 times the size it was yesterday. Also, it may be worth having a look an hour or so after lights out to make sure nothing is munching on them. Best to do this with a red light, if you see any nasties, you got to get rid of them. Lastly, you can try to run some carbon for a while as some Soft Corals can exude chemicals into the water which may irritate others and prevent them from opening up.
Good luck.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

y i think thay are dieing is from the fact thay wont open up. it has been almost 3 weeks and nothing the perpole it starting to tern green from alge growth from lack of movment. im starting to git fed up with this perticulr polyp. i have spent to much on them just to see nothing happen and die. the rock is about 5 pounds and is sterting to grow alge over the polyps matting. my 6 pound shelf rock took a week and it has probluy 2000+polyps on it. im at a complet loss. and on anther note how do you control alge in a tank were the fish love small inverts? i have 3 urchins and that cany keep up.

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

to help control your algae problem, i'd try a skimmer, maybe reduce your lighting a little, and check your phosphate levels as this can give you algae problems and corals don't really like it either.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

What kind of lighting do you have in the tank because if alge is growing that fast you might want to change up your lights from what i read the K value of the bulb is really important anything over 10000 is betting two much in the blue spectrum which alge thrive off of. Also how tall is you tank and how many watts per gallon are you putting in the tank are all good things to look at.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

36'pc with a 96 watt 50/50 and a 96 watt 10,000k along it a 16"pc atinic. the tank is a normol 55gallen long. comes out to be rufly 4 watts per gallen.

saltwateroc

by saltwateroc

yeah, i would work on controling that algae problem. once you have done that, you will start to see those polyps grow.

saltwateroc
http://www.saltwatertanksupply.com

polyps wont grow ?

7 posts