Do i really need a filter???????

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Davro3424

by Davro3424

Do i really need a filter in my heavily planted tank? i keep looking at all these quality tanks both on this site and on others and all the best looking planted tanks never seem to have filters in them? Is this because the plants take all the bad stuff out of the gravel and use it as fertiliser or something??? I'm really interested to know as i think that my plants would all look better if the filter wasn't always blowing them with the current! Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Dave.

john90009

Re: Do i really need a filter???????

by john90009

some of the relle nice looking tanks have filters there just hidiing some may even have a hole in there tank behind the plants where the water continuosly flows out of into a large filter under the tank.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

you would want a filter, because you do need some current in the water to prevent it from becoming stagnant, if it becomes stagnant then what you end up with is a swampy smelling tank, and that can cause your plants to die and decay, the filter also helps to remove certain types of chemicals from the water that can harm your plants, plus keeps the biological filter in tact and removes the left over stuff that your plants don't absorb. so in short yes a filter is necessary for your tank.

hope this helps
Brandon

Davro3424

by Davro3424

nice 1 thanks brandon! thanks for the comment on my pic of my cacatoides to!!!!! you seem to know your stuff!

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

you should put one in too because if you are planing putting any tetras in with the plants you will need one so it doesn't harm them and so they have air put into the tank. It will aslo keep your tank clean:D

starbetta

by starbetta

Yes, the tank needs a flter. The ones in the pictures are hidden the way they're supposed to be. It's like having a fan turned on in a room with a filter, circulating and distributing air.

6 posts