Compatibility Lemon Tetras vs. Cherry Barbs vs. Rasboras

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hi all, I'm just about ready to add the final touch (meaning fish) to my new tank, just as soon as I get my pH under control. I'm stuck though. I really need two things 1) fish that I run very little risk of turning over to my local lfs (they are awful), and 2) no offspring. My fish are truly my pets and I treat them as such. When I bring them home, I don't want any reason to "get rid of them". I know there are no absolutes.

I have:
5 Guppies
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Swordtails

The Guppies are all male, the Swordtails are both male, not sure about the Tetras. I had hoped for a couple of larger fish, like the Swordtails, to balance the number of small vs larger fish in my tank, but I'm not finding anything in the 3-4" range that could work. So...I'm looking at Lemon Tetras, Cherry Barbs, or Harlequin Rasboras. Any experience, advice?

Tank is 28 gallons, 2 Penguin 150s, temp 78-80 degrees, very hard water, 25% changed weekly, Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: .25ppm, Nitrates: 0ppm, pH: fluctuates 7.6-8.4. Densely planted with artivical plants and a very nice large artificial driftwood. It isn't big, but it has many, many places to hide, or to just be. I feed a varied diet once daily, but the staple food is regular flakes + veggie flakes, with ocassional pellets, blood worms, or brine shrimp either freeze-dried or frozen.

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I returned my tiger and green barbs for some harlequin rasboras... mainly for the extra room for my angels, but also because the rasboras seemed less aggressive. However, they definitely hold their own when feeding time comes as my angels are very aggressive eaters. I think they do well, as long as they are in a group of 5 or more ( i keep 6).

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

rasboras are neat fish, i love their coloring, lemon tetra are a bit more aggressive, and the barbs well they are barbs and have a tendency to be "sharp" lol ok enough fish jokes, barbs will be more aggressive towards other fish and even their own kind, cherry barbs are a less aggressive species of barb however they still have the same tendencies as a tiger, not so much a good choice for the tank mates you currently have.the other two are fine and wouldn't to any harm to add a few of each or more of one or however you want to break it up for color, the lemons will actually school with the rasbora and neons, as they do in my big tank.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I had actually hoped to add a couple of larger (3"-4") fish to compliment my large vs. small configuration in my tank. My Swordtails are larger, but all the others are smaller. However, I haven't been able to find a fish in this range that most people agree would likely work in my tank. I was thinking two male or two female (no babies) Gouramis (or just one), but have heard that they are semi-aggressive, even though this site says they should work together. Other than cats, can you think of one or two larger fish that would likely work with my group? My tank is small, it's 28 gallons and densely planted, so a slower, less active fish would probably be better. Also it is 78-80 degrees, hard water, high pH, dark substrate, I add salt. And my tank has two filters, lots of current, so smaller fins is probably best.

I look at compatibility charts and they say one thing, but forums tend to agree about fish and are often in disagreement with the charts. Mollies and Platys are supposed to work, but Mollies can actually be aggressive when larger, and Platys will breed with my Swordtails (no babies). Confusing...

Thanks, your time is appreciated,
Zambize

4 posts