uv steralizer

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

uv steralizer

by makavelithedon963941

ive heard mixed things about uv steralizers on reefs, ive heard theyre good to have and i heard that thay can take away from benefical things that corals thrive on. anbody have any input

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

im only repeateing info here ....but yes i've heard the same thing, i was fighting a bad algae bloom {on a new tank} and was looking at a UV system and was warned off of it because it would do more damage than good................

on the other hand, when the tank is established and the uv light is the correct size {this is one piece of equipment where bigger is better doesn't work, lol} they can be extremely benifeitial.................

I would do a severe amount of research on them for sure .....and remember, unless you have an uncanny relationship with your LFS............they are in the business of making money and will sell you anything you want - -even if you don't need it ..............................Boss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

UV sterilizers can not harm any well established reef tank.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

sorry off subject, makaveli very nice sump build..how much did this cost you? tank looks great also ...

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

thanks pimp, well i spent about 45 on acrylic, 20 on hoses 45 for the overflow, the sump inlet piece was 40 and like 15 for weld-on acrylic cement and silicone. i was origanally just going to use a ten gallon tank that i paid like 8 bucks for but it wouldnt fit in my stand, so i had no choice but to build my own with slightly different measurments. and i had a tragedy on my second night of it being installed, for some reason the power went out on my street at 5AM and the overflow kept on overflowing and it overflowed my sump all over my carpet. i was standing in a puddle in the complete darkness like wtf., but later i noticed i was only missing about an inch at the most from the show tank. but its good now i took care of it i just hope that wasnt to much new water in a short period of time.

uv steralizer

5 posts