lighting question

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

lighting question

by makavelithedon963941

can you have to much actinic? i have T5 , three 10ks and three actinics (460nm) with 2 switches, but the way the fixture is wired up, one switch turns on the two center bulbs and the other swith turns on the other 4 bulbs, the bulbs came lined up (front to back) blue/white/blue/white/blue/white. so naturally i put two actinics in the center so at some point during the day/night i can have on just actinics. then i replaced only the center actincs with 420 nm, its just my preference, the 420 looks purple and the 460 is blue. so now the bulbs are lined up like blue/white/purple/purple/white/white. do you think if i line them up blue/white/purple/purple/white/blue, it will be to much actinic? or should i keep it how it is

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Hi,
Your tank is beautiful, but I think your light has too much of purple. If you have lots of coralline you can't really enjoy them IMO. How about you switch one purple to a blue. Like this: blue/white/purple/blue/white/white or maybe no bulb at all here.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

thank you, i tried removing the last white bulb and only using 5 bulbs total but i didnt like the way it looked , right now im trying it with the first and last bulb blue, it looks good but i think im just going to swith it back to 10k. i have to keep the two purple bulbs tho, i went out of my way to get them and they draw out so much more color from corals than the blue, it really is a huge difference

lighting question

3 posts