what is this on my kole tang???

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

samik

by samik

i found this spot on my tang, it not little white spots like ick, but a faded area about the size of his fin behind his side fin some parts of the faded area is whiter than the other any thoughts. is it normal or is it bacteria and/or what can i use to treat it????help plzzz......samik

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

it could be a number of things, i had a problem sort of like this yearss ago with a blue hippo tang. some tang diets are very sensitive and if hes not getting enough of what he needs he will start to lose color in spots and eventually his latteral line will start to show (it will turn clear in color) and he could die. for example, mine wasnt getting enough veggies in his diet and thats what happened. luckily i saved him in time,unfortunatly the spots that faded never filled back in but after a week or so his l line was no longer visable. does this sound like it could be the problem?? - Makaveli

samik

by samik

maybe..... well i see him picking at rocks and he eats mysid shrimp when ever i feed my other fish. is there something else he should be eating. if so what thanks for the info...samik

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

if that is all he eats, i guarentee thats the problem, tangs are herbivors. they will eat meaty foods as well but will not survive without veggies. what he picks off the live rock is most likley not enough to balance out his diet. go to your LFS asap and buy him some seaweed salad/ seaweed selects, along with one of thoes little veggie clips and i bet he gets better, remember his color wont completley come back but you will save his life

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

go to the grocery store in the seafood department........ask for the sheets of stuff they wrap their sushi in ....it's pure seaweed and kelp, tear a piece off and put it in the veggie clip Makaveli mentioned - - -lol he'll beat his head on the glass attacking it ....it's like candy to em,

I use petsolutions and liveaquaria online..{ive got crappy LFS in my area}.they are very good and pretty fast - -heres a link to their herbavore foods

http://www.petsolutions.com/Herbivore-D ... 02020.aspx

I bought the marine spectrum - - and I have a 8 inch tall hood i built on my tank and one of my clowns jumped so hard he hit my hand as i was feeding this stuff to em ....they go friggin crazy on it, my crab likes it too

i would suggest the spirulina {the one in the bottle} pretty much aimed at tangs and angels..

let us know how you make out, Boss

5 posts