cleaning plants etc

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

cleaning plants etc

by milky648

whats the best way of cleaning acesserios facke plants and other things???

LeviNHeidi4480

by LeviNHeidi4480

I am no expert on this, but I have been told by my guy at the local fish store that if you are having an algae problem with your fake plants or accessories that a dip in a diluted bleach bath to kill it off. Make sure you let it dry off first. Bleach is a good cleaner because it will completely evaporate if given time. As for other pieces, they may have many nooks and crannies that hold good bacteria. I used a piece of lava rock from my established aquarium along with a good portion of water from it to cycle a 10 gallon we purchased just for fun. It seemed to do the trick real fast.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I would just use a dish sponge with the scrubbing side, no soap or nothing, or use a tooth brush.

The only reason I would use bleach is when you have something like brush algae that is very hard to scrub off or the accessories have lots of little hopes that can't otherwise be cleaned.

Bleach needs to be rinsed in hot water over and over and over again. I would soak in a bucket with mostly water and a few cups of bleach, soak for an hour or so, then dump bleach water.

Do whatever scrubbing you need with a tooth brush or other scrubbing devise.

Fill the bucket again with hot water and soak for 1/2 hour or so. Dump water and soak again in fresh hot water for 1/2 hour or so.

Do final rinse in hot water and it should be good. There should be no bleach smell, no sliminess, and it may even be a good idea to let the item dry before returning it to tank as Levi has suggested.

elscion111

by elscion111

thanks for the tip

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

not only are these guys on point with the bleach thing, i also use dechlorination tablets in the final bath of fresh water, what this does is neutralize the bleach that is left over. it's just a suggestion but it has worked for me in the past, now i don't use any of that because i have a 100% live plant set up.
Brandon

milky648

by milky648

oh k ill try that cosue ive tryed scrubing but with all thoes littel lubs and nuks its hard to get in there ok so blleach is ok good to know thanks

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just make sure you rinse like crazy.

milky648

by milky648

ok sound good thanks

cleaning plants etc

8 posts