Filtration systems.

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

paulyboy83

Filtration systems.

by paulyboy83

Hi all. I'm new here. I've always had tanks as long as I can remember and have recently decided to set up a tank with some freshwater fish from Ontario. I would like to keep minnows etc in a tank and was wondering what would be the best filtration system for this. Right now I have a regular filter that hangs off the back but am constantly changing the inserts and cleaning them. I was also wondering if anyone had a plan for a homemade filter that would be used to filter large volumes of water to help keep the tank clear and oxygenated? (Gets cloudy fast right now).
I would definitely appreciate any help or suggestions that may be offered.
Thanks
Paul

gotnohaylo

Re: Filtration systems.

by gotnohaylo

iam also wondering what to do with my new tank i have a 125 that i will be building a stand for ext.. i got a canaster filter for a pool that was like 2000 gallons witch i wont to use for my tank my tank as 3 holes on the bottom of it witch i dont know what thir for iam looking for info like u wassa ?

natureboy222

filter problem

by natureboy222

The holes are for an overflow and multiple pipes to drain into a sump.It will need a pump to bring the water back to the 125g.These can be cofusing and if you have a fishstore they could help.I have a 125g with 4 holes drilled in the back with 1''pvc pipes that drain into a 30g tank then a 1000gph pump brings it back up.The way mine is set up is like what is in a bathroom sink safteyhole to prevent from overflowing,if you know what I mean.When the pump brings the water in the tank it can only fill my tank up so much before it trickles down through the pvs pipe on the back of my tank.Holes drilled into the bottom need a bulkhead and a pvc pipe to reach the surface of the water from the bottom of the tank the water will only be able to fill to the height of the pipe at the surface of the water.1'' pvc has a max of 600gph of flow,if you have3 it is 1800gph but i would use only 1000gph max.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

pauly,
i live near lake ontario, lol if you've ever seen the lake in the summer when the temp gets around 70 degrees or so it starts to get cloudy, partially algae in the water, seaweed and faster currents during the spring and summer months also partly due to the fish, lol i know this sounds a little obsurd but when you think about it lake ontario is a HUGE body of water and the temp in the lake never gets far above 70 degrees... you may need to find a large canister filter first and foremost in order to clear the water up, cut back on the amount of food you feed your fish, this will cut down on fish waste and food waste, the other thing you really should consider is the temp of your tank the cooler you keep your tank the more the algae growth will be suspended. you may have to get a chiller for your tank water, and make sure the tank is not in direct sunlight. all of these things combined should produce a healthy and clear tank. unless your house is regulated by central air and doesn't get above 70 degrees at any point during the year, you should seriously look into a chiller for your tank. here is a link for you, any that would fit the size of the tank that you have would work just fine and remember the fish from ontario live in freezing cold water for half of the year so if your average temp is below 70 degrees that's absolutely fine for them they should not be shocked by the water being too cold, just remember fish become less active as the water cools and will eat less so the colder you make your tank the less you will have to feed. as far as oxygenation, i would just add a few air stones or a bubble wall along the inside back panel of the tank this will keep the O2 levels where they need to be.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/inf ... nk_coolers
copy and paste that link to your browser and it should bring you too a page, where you can choose the most suitable chiller for your tank..
Hope this helps
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like to overdo the filtration. I would use a large canister filter with trays for biological filtration and different sponge filters for particulates. I would use a filter that is double the capacity suggested max capacity of your tank. These canister filters can be placed hidden under the tank so you can set the tank closer to the wall than a 'hanging' filter will allow, and their silent. with an oversized one you shouldn't have to clean it very often. Then I would also set up an undergravel filter and hook up at least one large powerhead to it. The powerhead has a venturi so you can entrain air into it's outflow for oxygenation, and you can adjust even a powerfull powerhead to not make too much current with adjustment. Now, as others have written, considder the temp, no sun, don't overfeed, and why not have a planted tank with high output lights? You'll need to clear the roots at most a couple times a year from the upflows in the undergravel filter ( just dig away with a siphon gravel cleaner and clear the roots with your fingers)the plants can take it, and plants look beautiful, they help with the biological cycle converting wastes, and the fish like them. Even with a relativlely heavily stocked tank you should have no problem with cloudy water. What kind of minnows are you thinking of? Are they for bait, feeder fish, and will they get big?

paulyboy83

by paulyboy83

Thanks for all the tips and info.
The minnows, are all for bait. I do a lot of pike fishing and the minnows are too darned expensive ($6/doz.), so I trap my own and keep them in the tank. I've thought of adding some lake plants to help with the oxygen levels etc. I'll probably be picking some brains in the future in regards to my tropical tank as well.
Thanks again!
Paul

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If the minnows are just for bait I would probably keep the tank empty and maybe get a pond filter or the biggest possible canister filter to remove all the particulates and biologically breakdown the massive amount of waste lots of minnows will make, and have something like an air stone/air pump, or a powerhead with a venturi built in for airation with a sponge filter at it's intake. If you are just storing the minnows I would barely feed them at all, and in any case, feed them as little as possible at least at first so as to establish a good colony of benneficial bacteria in the biological part of the filter, and raise the amount you feed them slowely. If you start having die offs or the water gets cloudy, hit the tank with chemicals to neutralise the amonia and other waste, do a water change, stop feeding(if you are) for a few days, and be sure to remove all dead fish asap. Do regular water changes and use chlorine/chloralamine/slime coat water conditioner, I would keep the tank as cool as possible if minnows are just being stored to slow metabolism/waste production, and (I am just playing with this idea in my feeder storage tank) keep some snails in with them. If the snails die your water is pretty bad and you need to do something quick. I think you'll get a feel for how the biological cycle is working by smelling the tank, seeing or not dead fish in numbers, and watching for water cloudyness.

Filtration systems.

7 posts