HELP TO MUCH ALGAE!!!!!!!!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bull1534

by bull1534

I have a 29 Gallon bio-cube i have had my tank running for about four months, it is doing well but i have a
purple algae growing in almost sheets it is very invasive and growing on my rocks and sand. This makes
my sand look dirty and unatractive. I purchased a protein skimmer and am hoping this will fix the problem
any other ideas to help me?

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

Check your Phosphate levels as well.

jav36

by jav36

its probably red slime. see if your local fish store has treatment for it. it should take care of the problem

stavy

by stavy

i agree most likey red slime, check your LFS and it should have a med for it. you should buy an algae and grime attack group as well, hemirs blue legged crabs cleaner shrimp the works. it helps clean and establish your fishtank.

damx

by damx

I agree with everybody it's gotta be red slime...I used Red Slime Remover by Ultralife Reef products. It comes with a tiny spoon. Put the right amount of dosage and that red slime will disappear in 48 hours depending on how much you have. I had a little pico in my office that had the same problem until I put this in. You have to watch out for your pH though...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

somthing to think about??red slime remover . dose it really solve the problem ?? in my opinion no. it just hiddes the problem. before iwould add anything i would evaluate tank conditons. adding to many chems proper water flow filtration ect. it like breaking your arm pain killers only work for so long then you need more. and with out fixing the broken arm you get no where. what are the long term affects on fishes and coral ???? iam sure no 1 knows. just my opinion

roach

by roach

I used red slime remover and did half the dose and it worked great. After that I did a big water change and It solved the problem. I agree with getting inverts that will control it from coming back... Keep up with the water changes every week at 10 percent and that will work. good luck.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i know the stuff magicly makes it dissaper. if you had green hair algae would you add green hair algae remover or do it naturaly???

roach

by roach

depends on how bad it got. I agree with the critters to get rid of it but the remover keeps it from spreading anymore and the critters and 10g water change on his 29g will keep it from coming back

9 posts