Adding new live rock at the end of the cycle

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

My new 20g saltwater tank is nearing it's cycle. In about one week I am expecting to add some clowns to my tank. Is it a good time to add new live rock? I am concerned it would cause ammonia spike and be hazardous to the clowns. Please advise. Thanks.

schigara

by schigara

It's perfectly fine to add cured lived rock at that time.

Will the live rock be coming from a store close by? Is their live rock cured?
You can tell by pulling the pieces out of the tubs and give them a smell. If they smell funky, they still have die off and yes, they will cause a mini cycle at least. If they smell good, you're good to go. Just keep them wet on the ride home or at least wrapped in wet newspaper.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hey muhammad, i saw you left a comment about me putting clowns in my tank at 2 weeks.....just wanted to clarify that I updated my profile info and not my pics.........sorry for the confusion, good call though, it would not be a good idea to put clowns {or anyfish IMO} in such a new tank......

the clowns were added after 4 months of running - during which i swapped out my substrate and did a mini cycle.......................if you were close to me i'd give you a true percula clown .......i ended up with 3 of because of a bad shipping from an online supplier and they reshipped 2 new ones....and now i think 2 of them have paired up and their harassing the little one.....so now i need to set up a lil tank for one lil clown....poor lil guy...................Snowboss

PS - -i agree with schigaras post completely ...lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree good advice.but you should quarinten all live rock for pest before adding to display.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks for your advice. The store is only 10 minutes away. I'll make sure it's a cured one. Thanks again.

schigara

by schigara

Good point Pimp

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Hi Snowboss, thanks for the message. Good luck with your new tank!

Let me ask you a question: rather than buying a mated pair of clowns, what are the chances of having a successful pair of clowns if I buy two juvenile ones?

Thanks.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks schigara. I'll make sure it's a cured rock. Thanks again.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

can't say muhammed ....i know from the reading ive done on them.....they have the ability to change sex according to their needs, in the wild they stay in groups of 5 or so the largest being the female, the next 2 in size will be males and the rest will be more or less drones...........if the female dies or is eaten by something, the next largest male will turn into a female and the largest "drone" will turn male and join her "harem" kinda funny creatures really...................I can't guarenty my 2 have becaome mates, but they are the 2 larger ones and the biggest seems to be the boss....and the littlest one is not trying to approach "her" at all.........now with true perculas I have read that they pair up with the same sex changeing abilities but prefer to be only in a pair......{without a Harem} so................thats about all I can say about clowns until I have fry swimming around in there to prove my theory......I know what your saying....mated pairs are expensive ....and I'd hate to find out they just put a big one and a little one in a bag and let them figure it out in our tanks..........lol ...................good luck.....lets see some pics bud, Snowboss

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks for the detailed info. Will post some pics as soon as I get the clowns......just a few days more!

10 posts