Glass Q?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

how offten do you clean ur glass?

everyday
17%
every other day
33%
weekly
33%
monthly?
17%

Total votes : 6

angus4481

Glass Q?

by angus4481

i have been cleanin my glass alot lately, sometimes 2 times a day. its like i have an algea growth from hell that reproduces hourly. could it be from too much water current? IDK, its not a big deal, the forums have been a little boring lately. Everyones tanks must be runnin pretty good lately.lol

eazy4647

by eazy4647

lol im not quiet sure angus. i clean mine like 3-4 times a week. im not sure if too much current will cause algea growth. but i do kno over feeding. too much light i.e tank light on too much or direct sunlight. not sure if i was any help. there should also be a topic a couple days back about the algea from hell...we all hate it lol

snowboss

by snowboss

is the algae brown "dusty" looking stuff? if so thats the crap ive been fighting for about 8 weeks now........seems to go away at night but as soon as the white lights or sunlight kick in it's back in a matter of what seems to be minutes.....I believe it's diatom algae and just a friggin nasty phase all tanks go through

I blow everything off sometimes twice a day and run the mag cleaner over the glass everynight when i get home so i can see in there - - water parameters stay in the good range ....just a pain in the ass

angus4481

by angus4481

the algea i got is green and deep red, not the red slime. i know my perameters are right, i dont overfeed, the lighting must be it. i think im gonna get a light timer for my tanks. i usualy turn them on when i wake up and shut them off bout 12 hrs later. i know its too much light. i should set my timmer for every 6 hrs. anyone else use timers? if so, what are the hours of operation?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i use timers on both my actinics and white lights.........lol when im not fighting algae .... i have the actinics come on at about 8am and the whites on at 10 am the whites shut off at about 630 pm and the actinics off at 8pm - - as of te last 2 days i havn't turned the whites on at all ....the brown, cloudy crap is letting up a little

- - also, how old are your bulbs, bout 6 months is all they're good for , then who knows what specrum you have....which could also be affecting your algae...........................HHHHMMMMMMMMM.....................my lighting system was sitting on the shelf for about a year and i bought it on clearence............now ive only been useing it for like 2 months ...........but could the bulbs be bad because of their age?????????? man...i may have just solved m own problem, LMAO..........thanks Angus....you rule!!!!!!

Snowboss

angus4481

by angus4481

lmao..... Did i do something? i think its how long you run them, those lights were sitting in a warehouse for months before you bought them. it goes by how many hours you run them. if you bought it on clearence, they could have been a returned product

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

angus if the red is not hard like pink coraline its probably cynobacteria also in low current conditions the red will grow or a low ph in that area.and if its red coraline congrat's good job.. and high nutrients will cause the green...you may not be overfeeding but without alot of rock and strong skimming and filtration you will always have it.. and timers are a must set them so you have the most vewing time 8-12 hours..snow boss your light only age with use..

angus4481

by angus4481

i just looked up the cynobacteria, i dont think thats what i got. i do have red coraline on a couple of rocks. i know for a fact i have enough current im pumpin 900gs a hr in a 55gal, if not more.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok dang it, lol i thought i was onto something there...........

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I was reaching at straws there....................at this point if somebody told me i needed to eat diner on top of my truck every other wedensday to clear this crap up id be out there in my birthday suit.............................note: not a pretty picture...LMAO

Glass Q?

10 posts