clowns hosting polyps

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

clowns hosting polyps

by makavelithedon963941

i have a pair of clowns that have hosted to some button polyps, the clowns stick to that top left side of the tank where the polyps are, so recently i bought them a green bubble tip anemone, i moved the polyps and put the bubble tip right in place of the polyps. the clowns still hang out there (top left) but dont bother with the anemone or the polyps in there new spot. so my question is, how do i get my clowns to host the bubble tip? Ive heard you can put the clowns in a bag with the anemone and it will give them no choice but to touch it. but does this work or is there another way

angus4481

by angus4481

i think you should put the polyps back on the left and put the anenome close to the polyps. just movin the polypes alone makes it stressfull on the fish. i think you just need time for them to adapt to the anenome. how long have you had the anenome?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

or you could try to net the clowns and anemone in the same net.you have to be carefull with the anemone by the polyps because the anemone could kill them and if you have toxic polyps they could kill somthing in your tank or the anemone.
what kind of clowns do you have? make sure the clowns naturaly host that type of anemone.

snowboss

by snowboss

and let us know what happens ...i have yet to find a definative answer to the clown anemone relationship..........even if they are suposed to be a match they may or may not host.....some sites even frown on keeping anemones at all and say, leave em in the ocean ...still others insist that a clown must have an anemone to feel useful in life and could die otherwise.....who knows?.....so if you have success consider yourself lucky.....and if you don't ....then don't worry about it...some clowns are independant some aren't.....Boss

PS - -I have three true Percs that seem to be very happy lil fellas with no anemones in the tank......some say thats wrong too {haveing 3 of them} I would like to get an anemone when i get my water more under control....but they are happy and playful right now.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

well, i tried the bag idea, but i just could not catch either of the clowns to put in with the the anemone, and i wasnt about to tear my setup apart to do it, so im just gonna give them a bit and see if they host, if not i will try the bag idea again another time. oh yea, i just finished bulding my sump today, and i must say it turned out way better than i thought, i just need to wait 48 hours for the silicone to seal before i fill it, i will post a pic of it. Does anyone use liverock in their sump?

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

to the pimp , the clowns never leave eachothers side,they are false percs. i moved the polyps and put the bubble tip were the polyps used to be , they are no where near eachother now. but i do have a flower anemone that loves the polyps, he stays stuck to their rock and sometimes crawls on them but doesnt seem to be doing damage.
PS - did you see the new tank at saltwater paradise? it is an exact replica of randys tanks at aqua-tech. i would bet my bottom dollar that they built it for joe.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i did not see the tank but the frame for it and the lights.i think he said aqua tech did the tank but i dont remember .

clowns hosting polyps

7 posts