Native Fishes

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

philmin9

Native Fishes

by philmin9

Anyone on this forum keep native fishes? Just curious.

gumbii

by gumbii

i know some peeps have tilapia... i used to have common carps in my ponds... i found them in the river bed that's behind my house... the river was drying and i could see them dieing and getting eaten by the seagulls... so i saved a couple... like 15 of they... i still have 10 huge suckers... the others went to friends or petshops...

Mattallica874353

by Mattallica874353

From what I've heard, it isn't a good idea in most cases. Usually the native species are really timid and stressed when you place them in an aquarium. I've heard that they are always hiding, and get spooked really easily. It probably requires quite an adjustment.

gumbii

by gumbii

well... that's kind of a stretch of facts... since alot of fish that are now in the trades are all wild caught... i know some places that still slang wild caught fish taken from thier lakes, bagged up, placed in a petshop or holding facility and then into your pad aquarium...

now if that isn't stressfull i don't know what is... just like SW fish... only a handfull of fish are tank/pond raised...

philmin9

by philmin9

i was just curious, i myself am raising a green sunfish. This fish is anything but shy and timid, he is about ass aggressive as most cichlids i have kept. I put up a picture of him, i would recommend this fish o anyone looking to try anything new. They very cool looking, and they have a lot of personality

gumbii

by gumbii

sun fish...??? the only sunfish i know are huge ocean dwellers... if i'm going to get native fish, i would try to get some dartfish... those are pretty FTW!!...

philmin9

by philmin9

You have never heard of a sunny? It is the same thing as a bluegill. Well the same family anyway. I guess it is sort of like a native cichlid. They are very colorul, and often get shipped to pet stores in goldfish shipments

philmin9

by philmin9

i guess the closest tropical parallel i can think of would be an oscar

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I think in my area its against county bylaw to keep any native animals as pets. I should look into that.

philmin9

by philmin9

In Pennsylvania, as long as the species is not endangered, or goes against any fishing regulations, and fish caught legally can be kept in a fish tank

Native Fishes

11 posts • Page 1 of 2