Beginner Question

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bluerunbantams

Beginner Question

by bluerunbantams

Hello, my name is Tiffanie. I am new here and new to the Saltwater Fish Tanks. I have a 40gallon Saltwater Tank, its been up and running for 9 months. We have a couple of fish and some soft corals.

We have noticed a little green algae (I think) growing in our tank, I was hoping someone could help me identify it. I will try to get a better picture of it. It is light green, and has small tubes sticking out of it and Its soft and round. There is about four or five of them growing on the live rock. This one dislodged itself somehow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ ... algae2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/ ... kalgae.jpg

Thank You,
Tiffanie

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i almost sure it is a type of sponge which if it is that means you got some good LR

bluerunbantams

by bluerunbantams

Ok, Thank You. It just started growing about a month ago. Umm......what does LR stand for?

Tiffanie

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree it a sponge..lr=liverock

bluerunbantams

by bluerunbantams

Ok, Thank You very much. We have these little sponged growing all over one of our live rocks. We have been trying for a while to figure out what is was. Is there any special care needed?

Tiffanie

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

nope not really anything just let em grow, great for filtration and they look cool you should have some yellow and red and white one growing soon. Seems like things are working out for you. Do you have any Coraline algae growing soon(Purple,Black,red)?

bluerunbantams

by bluerunbantams

Yes, we are starting to get some purple Coraline growing mostly on the sides of the tank. We do seem to have a lot of green hair algae growing though. With the introduction of the Soft Corals, its starting to get very colorful.

Beginner Question

7 posts