a

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

kolp88

a

by kolp88

aas d sad r
Last edited by kolp88 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poetic_Irony2267

Re: help to make a siphon filter

by Poetic_Irony2267

i would like to start by saying that i like your thinking, however due to the laws of physics and the need for a specified rate at which the water is cycled, ie gallons per hour, it's something that can't be done, if you had a small tank as the actual fish tank and then used a sealed unit below you could in effect force the water back up to the top tank however i am thinking that due to the gravity feed once the water pressure inside the sealed unit reached it's max the water routing back to the top tank would stop once it reached the water level of the actual fish tank itself, it's hard to make water go uphill... without some sort of force behind it pushing it through to the next stage. which is why filters need to have a motor in order to force pressure into the sealed unit in turn forcing the water back up the return pipe or tubing into the tank itself. most of the canister filters on the market today are rated energy star as well as are super quiet. the fluval company makes great filters and i swear by them as far as their canister filtration systems go. you can also house the unit in a case that you could make out of 2x4 lumber a sheet of plywood and some construction grade insulation that is if you are really worried about the sound coming from the filter itself.

i hope this helps
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Please don't be offended, but people have been trying to design perpetual motion machines, or machines that run forever without the need of an input of energy for ages, and due the laws of physics it just can't be done. Quite simply, you need a pump. Brandon's suggestion of a fluval type canister filter is my choice of the best way to go. Have fun! Peter

kolp88

a

by kolp88

adsfds sds sd ds
Last edited by kolp88 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like your idea, except, for real! You can't get water movement without a pump! The siphons will simply balance themselves and water movement will stop. Whatever you saw on Youtube must have had a moter in there somewhere. Why don't you build your design and include a large capacity Fluval type canister filter with it's intake tube and it's output tube (it's vertially silent:you have to put your hand on the thing to know it's even on), hidden in a place under or next to your creation? You'll get what looks like what you want more or less and you won't even know it's there. There is a vague possibility that if one part of the cycle has warmer water than the other you could get water movement without a pump due to warmer water rising and colder water sinking, as oceanic and lake waters sometimes have, but it would be very very slow, and I don't think you could do that with the volumes anyone with a home tank set up would allow. Peter

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

As i am interested in the think outside of the box thing, i was researching this topic on the net and found that there is no way to create a continuous motion between two diff tanks with out the use of some sort of pump for propelling the water. however i did come up with the romaurie effect and found that it use of vacuum pressure that keeps the water from falling and emptying out into your living room and flooding the place, it's the same thing as if you filled your sink with water put in a 20 oz bottle, let the air out of the bottle filling it with water and then pulling the bottle out of the water to the desired level as long as the opening of the bottle remains in the water, the water will remain at a constant, however once you take the bottle opening above the surface of the water and air is allowed to flow into it, the water will drain. this theory is put to use in several types of situations, of which i found most interesting is the "Water Bridge" idea. which i may end up creating for myself for trial here at home and see if i can get a large piece of clear pvc tubing to effectively go up the wall in an arch of sorts and then back down into the same tank, this would be neat to have as i have come to the realization that i don't like many of the wall hangings above the tank that i have right now and would like to do something a bit outlandish in the design. will be an interesting project as i will have to build brackets and what not to hold the tubing in place as well as a wall mounting unit to hold the tubing from tipping over. not only that i will have to figure out a way to keep water moving through the tube as the tube will go from one end of my tank to the other instead of from one tank to the next. i am thinking that i could set my filter return to blow water up the tubing and down the other side but we will see what happens. wish me luck!

Brandon

a

6 posts