Know Your FW Shrimp?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Have you ever had shrimp in your tank(s)?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 4

Tmercier834747

Know Your FW Shrimp?

by Tmercier834747

The shrimp pictured in my profile...any idea(s) what it is? I've searched several species indexes with photos and haven't really been able to pin it with a name. It was sold to me as a Crystal Red Shrimp, but I can most assuredly say that it is not. My best guesses thus far are Ninja, but it doesn't seem to change color rapidly/often enough or Cherry Red, but it doesn't closely resemble many photos I've found of Cherry Reds.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/vi ... 21&start=0
the one on the top right has almost the same markings but not as colorfull as yours .how old is this shrimp of yours?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'd estimate 6-8 weeks. Funny you should ask. I purchased two "crs" from the lfs, and the one you see in the pic is the one the employee netted along with the other two without realizing it was so small. The two I paid for were at least2-3 weeks older with red markings but did not resemble crs. They both died within 24 hours due to PH shock I'm guessing.
And yes, I can see the resemblance of the top-right shrimp in the second from the top photo to my own, wish I could somehow get another angle, the markings are very close. There's a tan patch running down the back of the shrimp you spotted and in mine, but no ''vertical'' tan patch seems to appear on any of those CRS photos.
Shrimp markings vary so much and color mutations are so common its hard to imagine how hard it was for the first 'shrimpographers' to categorize them except by native location. lol

Know Your FW Shrimp?

4 posts