Shark eggs

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

duskyangel

Shark eggs

by duskyangel

Something about the idea of shark eggs is bizarre to me. I've only really heard of sharks having live births, so the fact that you can buy an egg online and hatch it at home is just crazy! Has anyone on this forum done that? What kind of "care" does the egg casing need? I guess catshark eggs are the easiest due to availability and caring for the actual shark once it hatches? I mean, I know most sharks require quite a bit of care but it seems catsharks are not THAT difficult, on a scale of like black tips and nurse sharks etc.

kate_kuhli

Re: Shark eggs

by kate_kuhli

Yeah I guess most of the more commonly known shark species have live births so people don't hear about shark eggs very much! But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense considering they are a fish and many species of fish have eggs. So not much different than guppies having live births and bettas having eggs - anything else would seem so weird since I'm so used to the thought of guppies being livebearers and bettas having bubblenests where they have their eggs! Although I guess breeding habits tend to be the same throughout the family e.g. tetras and cichlids are egg layers while guppies and endlers are livebearers, etc.

Shark eggs

2 posts