Flakes vs pellets

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tetrafan

Flakes vs pellets

by tetrafan

Do your fish prefer one or the other, or are they just generally greedy little things that will eat whatever you throw in?!

kiplingsmommy

Re: Flakes vs pellets

by kiplingsmommy

It depends on the fish. Go to http://www.liveaquaria.com and search for your fish. It will tell you what they like to eat and if they are finicky eaters. I don’t use freeze dried anymore. It would sink to the bottom after floating, uneaten, for several days (if I didn’t clean it up which I normally did). Flakes work okay for some fish, but I have to wonder whether that is the fish version of Cheetos and twinkies. You can probably buy a good flake food though if you look around at reputable sellers. I feed my fish frozen (at least daily if not more often) or live food (couple times a week). They gobble that right up. If it’s a bottom of the tank dweller, I use pellets, otherwise the other fish in the tank eat all the food while it’s floating at the top of the water column. Some fish like mainly microscopic animals called copepods. It’s good to feed a variety of types of foods so they have a well rounded diet. But in all, it’s just safer to research what your pet eats normally. Best of luck!

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

kiplingsmommy said it better than I could myself :)

Speaking generally I would say pellets are better than flakes but you do want to make sure you're feeding what is correct for your particular species, that's the most important thing.

cometkeeper

by cometkeeper

I use both. Flakes for the top feeders like Guppies and pellets for the tropicals that inhabit the bottom of the tank like Corydoras. Both will work as all the fish generally swim in all levels of the tank.

CK

lumi

by lumi

I use pellets for most fish, including my goldfish and bettas. I think they do better on a high quality pelleted feed than on flakes.

Flakes vs pellets

5 posts