Crabs or crayfish

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

neonlights999

Crabs or crayfish

by neonlights999

I'm curious about keeping aquatic invertebrates. It appears that crabs and crayfish aren't as popular as shrimp are, I wonder why that is?

Anyway, I don't know which I should get. I think the electric blue crayfish I've seen at Petsmart look interesting and I've seen tiny crabs (fiddler) too. Are all crayfish freshwater? I know the crabs aren't, so I guess which I keep will be determined by whether I want to do a brackish tank or stick to freshwater.

neonlights999

Re: Crabs or crayfish

by neonlights999

I just saw mention of a type of crayfish I have never heard of before, called orange clarkii crayfish I think? They look cool. Anyone know what they're like?

dutchaquarium

by dutchaquarium

There actually is a freshwater crab species commonly available for you. It's called the thai micro crab. I have kept them before and they are extremly interesting. However they are very small and prefer a well planted aquarium with floating plants. Other crabs do require brackish water and that can be hard to do if you are a begining aquarist. As for the crayfish, you normally only can keep them in a single specimen aquarium. They will shred plants and prey on anything they can catch. Even fast moving tetras could be prey for them at night when they slow down and sleep. If you want to devote a tank to crayfish, they look very nice. You also normally can't keep them together for they will prey on each other more or less. This is why shrimp are so popular, because they don't generally bother anything, and the amount of new shrimp morphs are quite attracting. I suggest you check out a website called elite inverts, they have a wonderful selection of invertabrates and are quite good at what they do. Hope this helped.

duskyangel

by duskyangel

This is a fascinating topic, I've heard about some inverts I hadn't ever heard of. I was just browsing on elite inverts and I've only checked out the shrimp section so far and wow! What an amazing array of shrimp. I didn't know there were so many available to hobbyists! I have shrimp goals now, lol.

I'd be interested in keeping crabs or crayfish too, but I like the idea of devoting a tank to them. They sound like great little hunters so I have a feeling that sooner or later I wouldn't have any fish in that tank anyway!

Crabs or crayfish

4 posts