Can I keep jewel cichlid with convict cichlid?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

justkeepswimming

by justkeepswimming

Would this be possible? They're both aggressive fish, so I thought it might be. If I tried it what size tank would you suggest? I know they'll both need their space to make their own little territory so I want to make sure I get the size tank right if I decide to go for it.

kate_kuhli

Re: Can I keep jewel cichlid with convict cichlid?

by kate_kuhli

It's possible. You can speculate on whether they will get along but there's no way of knowing for sure until you try, unfortunately.

I would use a 29g or 30g as a minimum. This will (conceivably) give them enough space that they can get away from each other. As you rightly said, they need their own space. Too little a tank and they'll likely to pester each other to death.

a201

by a201

What you can do and what you should do are different things. If you stock a pair of convicts, there will be non stop breeding and fry to deal with. A pair of jewels, means frequent breeding and fry.
Both species are mean as #@%& when guarding a nest. I made the mistake of buying convicts several years ago. "Still got em". They attack my hand during WC's. Might consider adding just one of each.

justkeepswimming

by justkeepswimming

If I decide to have both in the same tank I'll only get one of each. I've heard that many cichlids can get pretty nasty during breeding and as convicts and jewels are pretty aggressive even at the best of times - well that doesn't sound like a great combo!

If I got one of each would the sex matter? For example 1 female convict and 1 female jewel? I don't know if both sexes are equally aggressive.

4 posts