Redoing a tank from scratch

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nea7

by nea7

I'm not sure what happened with my fish in my 10 gallon tank, they possibly had something contagious, maybe ick...I don't know I'm not an expert on diseases. I've had very little experience of things like that.

So what do you do when this happens? Could I clean the tank with alcohol or something to kill bacteria?

reefer171

Re: Redoing a tank from scratch

by reefer171

If it's ick I think you can just turn the heater up to 90F to kill it off.

a201

by a201

If your starting from scratch, be sure to review sites on how to cycle a tank. It's true that heat is a component of the non med method of treating ick, but if the pathogen was Columnaris, it thrives in warm water. I suggest a 100% WC. Get things up and running for a few weeks then start the N. Cycle process going. If you are still worried, you might treat the tank with Melafix, a non toxic tank antiseptic.

_fins_

by _fins_

I clean tanks using bleach when I get a second hand tank from someone. Works really well for killing bacteria. However, if you want to start from scratch - meaning getting rid of your filter media that holds most of your good bacteria - then you'll need to do the cycle from scratch too. Unless you've got another tank to help kick start it a little with filter media from that tank.

4 posts