Shipment of fish

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kate_kuhli

Shipment of fish

by kate_kuhli

I saw it discussed a little bit elsewhere on whether or not the way fish are shipped is humane. I must say I hadn't really given it a thought before so was interested in hearing the thoughts here? Where I saw it discussed before was with non fish savvy people who didn't seem to know much about it, just were repeating what they heard about it being inhumane, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

asher

Re: Shipment of fish

by asher

In my experience, no, it isn't inhumane. I've shipped fish before and they have arrived to their destination safely and that's what counts. Now, I'm not doubting that they don't enjoy being confined to a small plastic bag but it's only for a short period of time. Your cat doesn't like to go in a carrier when traveling but the alternative is that it gets lost and/or killed.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Yeah, I would rather be a bit uncomfortable for a couple days or something than to be packaged in a larger bag with more water but have a higher chance of becoming ill/dying! I guess that would be like killing with kindness.

xxluckxx

by xxluckxx

Fish are sometimes shipped with Methylene Blue in the water to help keep them healthy and safe. It has anti bacterial/fungal properties and I think can raise oxygen levels iirc.

Shipment of fish

4 posts