Is there a maximum on filters

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

pimmy131

by pimmy131

I am looking for some advice please.
I am planning on introducing a second internal filter Aquael 500 to my tank. I already have two external filters, one a AquaManta 200 and an AquaManta 300. Its a 200l (44gallons) freshwater tank. Reason for adding another one is just that i feel it will help keep the tank clearer and cleaner, the current ones are already doing an effective job but just thought this last one would make it even better.
Could anyone advise if this is a bad idea due to creating even more flow in the tank or any other reasons not to?
Thanks in advance for any help.

a201

Re: Is there a maximum on filters

by a201

I don't think too much filtration is a problem, but too much water movement / current might be. Some fish thrive on a lot of water movement, others don't. You didn't mention what varieties of fish you keep. I am not familiar with any of the power filters you listed so I can't comment on filtering capabilities or water flow output.
Your filtration plans don't sound that unreasonable. If more filtration works for you, go for it. Good luck.

pimmy131

by pimmy131

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I have 2 convicts and 2 Severums 2 Angels and then barbs and loaches really. I think i am going to go with the idea and as its mainly to keep clean i'm going to turn the flow more to the glass to stem the flow.

a201

by a201

Sounds like a good plan. Only the Angel fish might have any difficulties
With additional water movement but I doubt your new internal filter will hurt anything.

pimmy131

by pimmy131

Update for anyone interested........

Put the 2nd internal filter in the opposite corner of the tank and aimed the flow at the glass. Seems to be working fine after couple of days, water is appearing crystal clear and the build up of crap appears to have been reduced.

Fish seem happy enough and the Angels that was most worried about appear to be happy enough still able to just float and chill in the one spot they like.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Sounds good to me. What's your turnover rate? I like to aim for 4x per hour at least, although going under isnt always a bad thing. If you have a planted tank I think you're not supposed to go over 5x per hour.

pimmy131

by pimmy131

I calculate its around 10/11 turnover rate.
Aquamanta 200 states 800lph, Aquamanta 300 is 1100lph and the 2 Aquael 500 is a combined 1000lph. 200ltr tank and if i was to estimate after media and all that the filters are working at around 75% it would give me 10.9. Now i am a complete newbie so i think ive calculated it right. Does that sound too high based on what your recommendations are?

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

4x - 10x is the recommended turnover AFAIK so you're still within the limit. :)

asher

by asher

I tend to just assume that even if an extra filter is redundant, it likely does no harm, providing the water flow isn't too much for the fish. For example, if your filter was to break and you didn't have an extra filter in the tank already then you would have to rush out and buy a new filter right away and deal with any cycling problems that arise. Very handy to have backup(s).

9 posts